Live review by Our Lady Peace

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
Our Lady Peace: Live

Upon seeing this album in stores, I wasn't sure of exactly how Our Lady Peace would be able to pull off a live album, seeing as their television appearances haven't exactly been perfect, and the addition of a new guitarist also had me pessimistic. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The instruments in this CD, while less studio polished, all come through at nice, even levels, which includes a more bass-heavy sound than heard on their studio albums. Mazur, their replacement guitarist, even manages to put out some interesting solos live. Raine Maida also manages to sound better than he has in many performances, but he does struggle in some parts. This is especially apparent in the song One Man Army, where the instruments have to be tuned down another half step to allow him to reach the notes. Another complaint could be that since Mike Turner's departure from the band, the guitar parts are significantly less raw sounding. Considering all that has happened to the band however, this album has a superb sound.

The only new songs, and therefore new lyrics, on the album are the songs Our Time is Fading and Whatever, though Whatever had been released on a compilation before this album came out. For every pre-existing song, the lyrics never fail to please, as Raine Maida shines in this area, even though his vocals have lacking in songs such as Superman's Dead. As for the new songs, Whatever's lyrics are far too repetitive, and the message clichd, though they do fit the song. Our Time is Fading, however, is the jewel of this CD. The lyrics are angry, Maida's voice perfect, and he manages to keep it interesting through the whole song. The only reason this section does not earn a nine is because of the repetition exhibited in Whatever.

Overall, if you are an Our Lady Peace fan, you should purchase this album, and if you've never heard of them, buy Clumsy or Happiness... Is Not A Fish You Can Catch. Our Time is Fading, Is Anybody Home?, and Starseed are all standouts tracks on this CD. This album manages to make you feel as if you are actually at the concert, especially in the crowd participation moments. Raine Maida's voice, though still amazing, has never been perfect live, and I do miss Mike Turner. All in all, I do love this album.