Live Review

9.1
 8.8
 9.4
Live Reviewed by: masterbasser89, on april 06, 2004

Sound: The sound is amazing its the best record I have ever heard. Our Lady Peace really kicks ass live and everything comes through clear. The guitar and bass are much better than in the studio and the voclas of Raine Maida are better than most rock singers. // 10

Lyrics: Raine Maida has to be one of the best singers/songwriters out there. Lyrics range from love (somewhere out there) to more serious subjects(innocent, are you sad). They lyrics and music fit perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: It is one of the best albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening too. Some of the most impressive songs are starseed, naveed, somewhere out there, is anybody home...actully they are all amazing. I love the entire album and olp music has helped me through alot in my life and it is well worth the $22 I paid for it. If it were stolen I'd buy it again and kick who ever stole its ass. // 10

Live Reviewed by: HughF, on april 09, 2008

Sound: Upon seeing this album in stores, I wasn't sure of exactly how Our Lady Peace would be able to pull off a live album, seeing as their television appearances haven't exactly been perfect, and the addition of a new guitarist also had me pessimistic. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The instruments in this CD, while less studio polished, all come through at nice, even levels, which includes a more bass-heavy sound than heard on their studio albums. Mazur, their replacement guitarist, even manages to put out some interesting solos live. Raine Maida also manages to sound better than he has in many performances, but he does struggle in some parts. This is especially apparent in the song One Man Army, where the instruments have to be tuned down another half step to allow him to reach the notes. Another complaint could be that since Mike Turner's departure from the band, the guitar parts are significantly less raw sounding. Considering all that has happened to the band however, this album has a superb sound. // 8

Lyrics: The only new songs, and therefore new lyrics, on the album are the songs Our Time is Fading and Whatever, though Whatever had been released on a compilation before this album came out. For every pre-existing song, the lyrics never fail to please, as Raine Maida shines in this area, even though his vocals have lacking in songs such as Superman's Dead. As for the new songs, Whatever's lyrics are far too repetitive, and the message clichd, though they do fit the song. Our Time is Fading, however, is the jewel of this CD. The lyrics are angry, Maida's voice perfect, and he manages to keep it interesting through the whole song. The only reason this section does not earn a nine is because of the repetition exhibited in Whatever. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, if you are an Our Lady Peace fan, you should purchase this album, and if you've never heard of them, buy Clumsy or Happiness... Is Not A Fish You Can Catch. Our Time is Fading, Is Anybody Home?, and Starseed are all standouts tracks on this CD. This album manages to make you feel as if you are actually at the concert, especially in the crowd participation moments. Raine Maida's voice, though still amazing, has never been perfect live, and I do miss Mike Turner. All in all, I do love this album. // 8

Live Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 15, 2008

Sound: A couple years have passed since the hasty release of Gravity and the backlash from Our Lady Peace's fanatical fanbase. In an effort to tide it's fans over, the band released a live CD recorded in their native Canada. Now, I have caught an acoustic performance of theirs on television a few years ago, but I hadn't ever thought of Our Lady Peace as the kind of band that could put on a show, if you get my meaning. They always felt like a studio band to me. I was pleasantly surprised with Live, for all it's 14 tracks the band utilizes Joel Shearer as a rhythm guitarist, this contribution alone adds to what would have been otherwise a terribly incomplete album. If you thought Gravity was heavy, Live feels like a ton of bricks. The band blasts through each track, absolutely destroying 'Superman's Dead' and injecting a whole new energy into nearly all their songs. They even showcase some new material, 'Whatever' and 'Our Time Is Fading'. The former is a little weak, but 'Our Time Is Fading' is an excellent, excellent throwback to the grungy sound of their debut Naveed. No real musical faults other than Taggart's drums being quite hard to make out behind the wall of guitar. // 9

Lyrics: With his recent change vocally, I was curious to see how Raine Maida would hold up in a live situation. The opener 'All For You' didn't impress, he came off as tired and his voice lagged behind on several occasions. With my hopes slightly diminished I moved onto track 2 'Superman's Dead'. Raine delivered, his deeper vocals ran along perfectly with the crunching guitars. The sheer power of his formerly juvenile singing nearly overwhelms, he seems much more confident, commanding not only himself, but the legions of fans in dedicated sing-alongs while strutting around shouting encouragements. His singing also suits softer tracks much better, 'Clumsy' in particular. But Raine Maida, for all his improvements, has fallen into a self-imposed trap by adopting a new singing style. He can no longer reach the incredible pitch he once could, and the band suffers for it, his "Why!"'s on 'Superman's Dead' sound terribly forced, and even perennial classic 'Starseed' loses it's steam because of his voice, which almost sounds bored at some times during the performance. Maida is a mixed bag throughout, bringing down the house on some tracks, singing plain badly on others. // 8

Overall Impression: Many fans would have enjoyed a live CD from the Clumsy or Naveed era, when the band was still really trying to make it and the insane energy of Mike Turner's guitar and Raine Maida's old vocals still permeated every song. Considering that isn't possible 'Live' is a solid CD, most of the tracks are very enjoyable. Raine Maida remains the band's big liability, for he fluctuates rapidly from song to song. I was disappointed to learn that several tracks weren't included on 'Live', chiefly 'The Birdman' and 'Do You Like It', so if you're real hardcore try picking up the 'Live' DVD, which I believe includes those. The highlights, 'Superman's Dead', 'Naveed/Life', 'Our Time Is Fading', 'Clumsy' and 'Starseed'. // 8

Comments