The Ghosts Among Us Review

Our Last Night: The Ghosts Among Us
Release Date: Mar 4, 2008
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Screamo
The most impressive thing about Our Last Night is that all the guys are still in their teens -- that explains a lot of minor points about the band.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.1
 7.9
 8.3
The Ghosts Among Us Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 17, 2008

Sound: Followed by a huge buzz around them, Our Last Night are releasing their debut album The Ghost Among Us. Members of the band claim that the songs on the new album are the most exciting and energetic songs they have ever written. Really, the record is dynamic and it's obvious the musicians did their best while working on it. Creating the album, they tried to concentrate more on the songwriting and develop the sound to prove they have matured since their first demos. There are a lot of guitars in the songs, many of them are multi-layered and all of them play something different. I believe the guys tried to show off their musical virtuosity as much as they could and they have quite succeeded in that. Some songs are incredibly fast with galloping drums and the guitarists trying to beat each other in guitar exercises. The songs sound mediocre and unfortunately every next one sounds as mediocre as the previous. You get lost in them after track number 3. One uniform formula that all songs follow is heavy metal parts mixed with melodic break-downs. I wonder why the producers didn't help them at least to differ the songs a little and make them catchy -- maybe it would save the situation a bit. The range of track pace is very poor -- they all vary from fast to almost fast. Though a lot of times they change the pace within the track. The best example would be Dreamcatcher that slows down at the end. As all the tracks are quite intense you are desperate for a ballad (or at least something like it) towards the middle of the album, but Our Last Night are uncompromising. No, unfortunately there is no place for slow songs on The Ghost Among Us. The weirdest thing I've heard lately is the end of Running The Clocks -- the song just stops and during the last 10 seconds you hear a piece of a totally different track. Maybe it just happened to stuck there when they were putting the album together? // 6

Lyrics: If you're not an English-native speaking person, the meaning of the songs would be a mystery to you because Matt Wentworth first of all lisps and spits to the microphone, and second the guys don't really care about the pronunciation. In their screamo part I would say it sounds like old man ramblings. In those slow melodic intervals where you can actually understand what they are saying, you wouldn't be able to understand what they mean. I'm not even sure the guys quite understand what they're singing about themselves. It's easy to get lost among the pretentious song titles like I Have Fought A Measureless Battle and Symptoms of A Failing System with lyrics like We were hanging by a thread that wouldn't give in/With a new set of arms the sky is in reach. Wentworth does a good job when performing scremo while the melodic singing leaves much to be desired. The guys wail and moan as if they were forced to face the microphone and can't wait for the song to be over. You get the similar feeling listening to it. // 5

Overall Impression: Our Last Night suffers from one of the most awful diseases the band could have -- the lack of variety. While the songs are pretty well-played, they are completely unmemorable. There is nothing new the guys can deliver with The Ghost Among Us. The band doesn't benefit from its negligence in singing and pronunciation. It all makes an impression of not very well-thought out project. The most impressive thing about Our Last Night is that all the guys are still in their teens. That explains a lot of minor points about the band (without knowing that fact I'd call them hopeless). The good thing is that they already can be compared to the grown-up groups. The bad thing -- the youngsters are not too experienced against the old dudes. The obvious thing -- there is a lot of potential and new better records are to be expected from Our Last Night. // 6

- Kosh (c) 2008

The Ghosts Among Us Reviewed by: BdFlyDawg, on march 20, 2008

Sound: For me, this is one of the best cd's I have heard in a long time. This band has come so far from their demos. They have stepped it up a lot in their music writing. They have become way more technical, but only technical to a point. It's good technical, not over the top like some bands out there. There are pretty music parts, but there are also some very heavy parts, and whn you put all of that together, it sounds Pretty good. // 10

Lyrics: Well, let me just say one thing. The bands singer and screamer are brothers. Trevor Wentworth(screamer) is 14 years old, and to be 14 and get that good of a scream, it takes a lot of skill. His scream really fits the music perfectly. Matt Wentworth (singer) has an amazing voice, that can stretch very far. He can hit high notes that sound like something out of From First to Last or something. The lyrics are great, you can clearly understand them when he sings, and they have a lot of meaning to them. // 10

Overall Impression: I think if your a hardcore/post-hardcore fan, you should deffinitly give this CD a chance. Don't just listen to it for a little bit then stop and say you don't like it. Actually listen to it, and give it a chance. Great CD and worth my money. Basically, my impression of them is that if Life in Your Way was a father, and had a son, it's son would be Our Last Night. // 10

Comments