DIstorted Lullabies review by Ours

• Released: May 15, 2001
Ours: DIstorted Lullabies

The band's music is a little hard to explain. Most of it is written my frontman Jimmy Gnecco, often compared to the great Jeff Buckley (RIP). He does everything quite well, from upbeat pop-rockers to slow ballads. Gnecco's voice is the focal point of the album, as he has great range, and uses his falsetto to great use throughout. This is Ours' second album, though there was about 7-8 years difference from the original debut, and a follow up to this was released a year after this. Production is clear, all instruments can be heard quite clearly, and I don't see any problems with mixing or anything.

Lyrics on this album are quite heartfelt. To be quite honest, lyrics aren't really what you listen to unless you pay close attention. For me lyrical highlights are in Sometimes, I'm A Monster, Here Is The Light and Meet Me In The Tower. The lyrics have kind of a soft quality to them that's hard to explain, but goes with the music quite well. The album is really something to experience.

Ours put out one amazing record here, and stands as one of my favourite albums out of all I own. Standout tracks would have to be Sometimes, Medication, Dancing Alone and my favourite Meet Me in the Tower. These songs are amazing because of the vocal capacity of Jimmy Gnecco, who not only has an amazing voice but knows how to write songs to suit it. I recommend this album to any fans of Jeff Buckley. Gnecco is compared often to Buckley, so see for yourself if he stands up to one of the greatest vocalists of 1990, if not ever. It's probably no Grace, but it's a quite solid record on it's own.