Silverstrand review by Over It

• Released: Mar 8, 2005
Over It: Silverstrand

This is definitely an improvement from some of their previous albums. Silverstrand (2005) is, to put it shortly: really, really good. Apparently this album embodies the band's move to California from Virginia, which I can certainly see, though it's not necessarily a concept album. Silverstrand seems to utilize a lot of the punk feeling from previous albums, but seems to be leaning a bit toward the more punk-rock/indie style shown in Step Outside Yourself (2006).

Good lyrics, though, as always, they could be better. There are songs like "Partner in Crime" (track 12) that stand out lyrically, with a chorus that goes, "With a tense wrist, you turn away; treading the dice you cast away; what is there left to laugh about? I doubt it's what you wanted," and then the Intro track, named, of course, Intro, which goes, "Will I miss my home? Looks like rain up pas the hills. Now, I've got every reason; Now, if it weren't for June, I might have forgot that we came here on a velvet rope, and it almost feels like home. We climb up just to turn back down and find what counts below." The music, as usual with Over It, fits the lyrics nicely, and vice versa. Lead singer/guitarist Peter Munters seems to have taken some voice lessons, as well.

I liked this album a lot, though not more than Timing is Everything (2002) and Step Outside Yourself, but I think the band did a fair job. The best songs are 5, 8, 9, and 12. I love the mixed sort of genre provided by Silverstrand, and the fact that the album's not entirely hardcore-bang-your-head-against-the-wall-punk. It seems to me like the in-between album; the album which separates the sound given in Timing is Everything and that which is presented in Step Outside Yourself. If it were stolen/lost/scratched/burnt/melted/'accidentally' dropped in the paper shredder by my little sister, etc; I would definitely re-puchase it, maybe even before my little sister gets pulvarized.