Step Outside Yourself Review

Over It: Step Outside Yourself
Release Date: Aug 29, 2006
Label: Virgin
Genres: Punk-Pop, Emo
Over It have nailed it on their Virgin debut -- Step Outside Yourself is how pop-punk should be done.
 4.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Step Outside Yourself Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on may 08, 2008

Sound: I bought this album for my younger brother after finding out about the band on a LEGO Bionicle website back in 2006. The second track of the album was availible for download as an extended version of the original track. Well, of course, when I heard the song I had no idea what 'indie' meant, and looked further into the group. I found them on Rhapsody and listened to parts of the album, and thought, "Wow! This is really neat." Their previous albums have all been very punk-centered, but Step Outside Yourself (2006) definitely extends their range of sound. Though their former punk selves seemed to have disappeared, the 'new' Over It is just as thrilling, with awesome acoustic tracks and a wide variety otherwise. I think this is my favorite album from the Over It collection. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are much clearer, though no less artistic, than those on, say, Timing is Everything. Also, Peter Munters, the lead singer and guitarist, seems to have inproved vocally to compliment the lyrics. The music is much more varying, as opposed to albums like Welcome To Virginia (their 2001 album) where all the songs sounded much the same. I really enjoyed the album both musically and lyrically. // 9

Overall Impression: When compared to Over It's other albums, this one definitely comes on top. The music is nice, the lyrics are great, Peter's voice is very nice. However, if you're looking for a great punk album, try an older album. They seem to have moved on from their origins, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many of the songs are very enjoyable, in fact, and my favorites are probably "Think Against the Grain" (track 1), Siren on the 101 (track 3, a new and improved version of the song originally from Silverstrand, their 2005 album), Your Song (track 6), Where the Sky Begins (track 9), Feels Like Affection (Turn It Up) (track 11), and Like Sattelites (track 13). I really love the fresh sound that this album offers, though some of the songs are just okay. If it were stolen/lost/melted/crushed by another planet or moon randomly crashing into it for no reason what'soever, etc; I would most definitely replace it. I sure hope that Over It's future albums go the same way as this one. // 8

Comments