Timing Is Everything review by Over It

• Released: Sep 3, 2002
Over It: Timing Is Everything

Of course, Over It isn't in the Ultimate Guitar directory! This almost-unknown Virginia-origin band really delivers a great sound throughout their carreer, and the greater of their albums starts with Timing is Everything. This is one of the best punk albums that I've ever heard. I sure hope that the band becomes more widely-known. The tracks on this album are all head-banging punk, apart from a sometimes-included extra track, called "Weightless." Then, of course, there's the bonus track, which was included as a spoken-word 'melody.' I give the sound 8/10, points lost for the strange Bonus Track and the sometimes-repetetive sound.

The lyrics are nice, and really, really, really hard to decipher. You really need to listen close and pay attention to realize the message that the band is bringing across in songs such as "Limiter" and "Crush." Many are lovesongs, one about a lonely young man chasing after a seductive girl in the night. Apart from possible vague possible references to sexual encounter/desire, this is actually a really family-friendly album, something you don't see everyday. Unfortunately, I must give the lyrics a resounding 7/10, because they can be confusing and strange and even obscene, when it comes to the Bonus Track. (No swearing, thankfully.) Though they win points for a nice lead singing voice and compliance of lyrics with music.

Really, this is the punk album if you're into harder stuff. By TIE, Over It had really pushed punk to the limit, and gotten over the redundant drum-beats and such found in Welcome to Virginia: The Ready Series, which was the predecessor of TIE. The best songs are probably 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Out of those, the best are 12, 10, and 5, though it really is a tough call. I really love how they pulled this one off--so many really good songs and lyrics, and the acoustic track "Weightless" is really lovely. I don't like the Bonus Track, with the band shouting apparently rude things (though I can't be sure. Honestly, I may be mistaken, but I really doubt it.) into the mic. If this were stolen/lost/burnt/crushed/chewed/blown up/melted/spoiled because my little sister sang it and somehow ruined the disc, I would replace it as soon as I could. Overall, Timing is Everything, Over It's 2002 punk album, gets a nice 8/10. They are the most unique punk band I've ever heard.