Taking Over review by Overkill

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Overkill: Taking Over

I am surprised that this album wasn't already reviewed: it's clearly one of Overkill's best ones. The sound is not that good technically but is perfect for the atmosphere of this album. Bobby voice is very great in this album, it looks like almost like Dickinson's one, Gustafson's riffs are killer as always, DD does some good job at bass as always, Rat Skates isn't in my opinion the best drummer overkill ever had, but he does a good job in this one. After this album he left the band and Sid Falck joined Overkill.

The lyrics, compared to feel the fire, was more mature. "Deny the Cross" I think it's about who kills in the name of God, "Wrecking Crew" is about a street gang, "In Union We Stand" talks about a military rank who's ready to attack, "Fatal If Swallowed" talks about a man who's slashing a human body or something like that, "Overkill II" continues the horror story who began in "Feel the Fire," "Fear His Name" might talks about Judgement Day, "Use Your Head" talks about a man who lives his life by focusing alcohol and hookers, I don't really know what "Electro Violence" is about.

Like I said before, it's one of Overkill best albums and my favorite songs of it are "Deny the Cross," "Fatal If Swallowed," "Overkill II," "In Union We Stand" and "Powersurge" but overall all songs are good and very enjoyable. I don't think this is Overkill's best album anyway, I prefer "Horrorscope" and "The Years of Decay." But still a really good album and determined 1987 along with "Among the Living" by Anthrax, "The Legacy" by Testament and "Persecution Mania" by Sodom. If someone stole me this album i would certainly buy another copy.