The Electric Age review by Overkill

• Released: Mar 27, 2012
Overkill: The Electric Age

The sound on this album is absolutely crushing. This, in my opinion, is one of the few good mixed albums that has come out recently. The tone on the guitar is a really hot one, which adds to the energy. The drums are typical thrash blast beats in places, but he never fails to miss a beat and add technical fills and such. Of course D.D's bass and writing helps with the album's heaviness too! It's not too hard to realize I'm excited, but I am for good reason. If you enjoyed the feel of "Ironbound", then you will love this album even more. Somehow Overkill have topped one of their greatest albums. It's fair to say this album is a thrash album, but it's unique in the way that Overkill always does it.

The lyrics on this album aren't phenomenal but definitely fit the music and have their moments. Most of the lyrics on this album are pretty catchy and will get stuck in your head after a while. The style of lyrics in my eyes seems to be covered with violence and fighting back. Bobby Blitz's singing is as good as ever, if not better. He seems to be one of the few vocalists who's voice improves with age. His singing on this album is full of energy and enthusiasm. I understand that people don't like his voice (for whatever reason) but for those that do, you will love it on this album.

I'll flat out say that this is one of the greatest Overkill albums ever made. "Ironbound" was a modern thrash classic in my eyes, but this album definitely topped it. I think the most impressive songs on this album are probably "Save Yourself" for it's massive amount of energy (but really all the songs are like that) and "Good Night". "Good Night" starts with a nice clean intro that really adds to the thrash explosion that you hear later on. It kind of reminded me of "Brain Death" by Nuclear Assault due to the energy and build up of it. There's really nothing I dislike about this album, it's hell of a thrash album. If this album was stolen from me, well I'd have to "Drop The Hammer Down" on them...

EpiExplorer
    stonedhippos wrote: X-Vision wrote: OMG. This album sounds insane. Trash is very much alive and better than ever (Overkill's music anyway) holy jeebus, the trash is alive!
    Ever played the new pokemon games?
    offspringfan41
    Thrash you meant?
    stonedhippos
    holy jeebus, the trash is alive!
    ZombicidalMan
    Haven't listened to Overkill in eons, will definitely check this out. One of the best classic thrash bands still around - probably because you can clearly hear the bass!
    genolk
    "The drums are typical thrash blast beats in places, but he never fails to miss a beat and add technical fills and such" So he adds technical drum fills and such but misses every beat? Sounds.... confusing.
    Lordi71
    recently rediscovered Overkill, Ironbound quite rightly is a great thrash album, I am really looking forward to hearing this new effort! :
    X-Vision
    AzureMurakumo
    Easily their best effort since Horrorscope. The only track that doesn't really do it for me is "Black Daze", but the album as a whole is fantastic.
    stonedhippos
    i like this album so far, but the reviewer was right. the singing doesn't appeal to everyone.
    Redfinton22
    Dude475 wrote: @iommi600 what about meshuggahs new album koloss?
    Meshuggah are in a category of their own
    iommi600
    Dude475 wrote: @iommi600 what about meshuggahs new album koloss?
    Haven't listened to it yet... by the way, I'm not a big fan of Mesuggah and Overkill and Napalm Death are two of my favorite bands, so that explains my opinion, I guess