The Years Of Decay review by Overkill

• Released: Oct 13, 1989
Overkill: The Years Of Decay

Well first of all Overkill are a thrash metal band from New Jersey. They've gone through a lot of line up changes over the years but the members that make the band have always stayed. They would be Bobby Blitz (lead vocals) and D.D. Verni (bass). Now Blitz has a really strange voice. But I'll get into that later. The music as I said earlier is thrash metal but Overkill seem to add a bit of their own twist on it which is really awesome. Overkill remind me of Exodus for vocal reasons and music even.

I know that a lot of people hate on it but I love his voice (if you've read some of my other reviews you'll notice I love really different vocals). Even my best friend who is a complete metal doesn't like the vocals to Overkill. I wish more people liked the vocals though because the music is just amazing. Bobby Blitz is truly an amazing singer and one of my favorites, I wish more people would realize how good he is. The lyrics seem to the typical thrash I mean with songs like "I Hate" and "Elimination" than pretty simple to tell that.

I think this is one of Overkill's best albums. Their best three are probably "The Years Of Decay", "Ironbound" and "Horrorscope". My favorite song on the album is probably "E.vil N.ever D.ies" because of it's crazy heavy sections than right to a clean and back to a heavy. It's a really interesting and hectic song, to me at least. I can't say I don't like anything about this album. The song "Playing With Spiders/Skullkrusher" took a bit to grow on me but now I completely love it. So really everybody out there, GIVE OVERKILL A CHANCE, THEY'RE GODLY! If someone stole this album from me, well than let's just say you'd see me on the news for murder...

truegreenblood
    Glad to hear that the Crew is still got the love of the fans. I grew up in NY and not only caught these guys a ridiculous amount of times but got to share some brews with them back in the day. Still a huge fan, (even got some ink to prove it) and wish they not only played more states dates but had the following that they deserved.
    Powerageman
    They really are one of the most underrated Thrash bands. I like them more than exodus and testement. and I think tha they should be in the big 4. Not Metallica. Metallica's hard rock now, not thrash.