Bark at the Moon review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Ozzy Osbourne: Bark at the Moon

After Stepping into the solo scene in 1981 with Blizzard of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman, Ozzy Osbourne developed an instant cult following, and he was how you would define british metal. His next album was well anticipated by the public, even after the tragic death of Randy Rhoads, Ozzy's guitarist. So in came Jake E. Lee, and there, the Ozzy sound changed entirely. From the fast tempo songs which constantly switch from major to minor with the ever-classical feel to it under Rhoads, Lee brought Ozzy's sound a new height: However it lacked the impact and originality of his previous 2 albums. Lee brought the songs a heavier and much more agressive sound. From the title track Bark At The Moon to Centre Of Eternity, it is easy to realise straight away that all previous Rhoads sound was lost, and Ozzy had changed his course, and wasn't comfortable with it. His singing compliments the heavy guitars very well, but this is the album where his 'moan' started to develop and it, quite frankly, gets a bit irritating.

Well, the title track, Bark At The Moon, is about a wolf, the lyrics are quite amusing. The lyrics from then on don't get an awful lot better, with the dramatic 'now you see it now you don't' last verse: "Give me central heating, hope that I can pay the bill!" and then track 9, Spiders In The Night; a song about-spiders, in the night! After the fabulous lyrics of war, the mystical lyrics about the mystical world and the drugged up lyrics about faries in his former Sabbath life, Ozzy's lyrics disappoint, as do his singing skills, which were before mentioned.

Now the lyrics may be quite bad, and the sound may have changed, but this by no means makes it a bad album. as a whole the album is quite strong; Ozzy's moan may have developed and the Rhoads sound may have been lost forever but this was a new era of Ozzy, one which I personally think is very strong, albeit not as strong as the Rhoads era or the subsequent Zakk Wylde era, but still a very strong one. Bark at the moon demonstrates Ozzy's ability to bang out tracks about spiders, soft love ballads, hard rocking songs about werewolves, and hard rocking songs with monks and organs reminiscent of Mr. Crowley from 'Blizzard Of Ozz' and it is this variety and the quality in which each different style is pulled off that makes me think that this is one of his stronger solo albums.

mrlee192
    for over a decade? what are you on!!! no rest for the wicked, no more tears, Those are ozzys best!
    swave75
    I love this album. It is one of my favorites. And I love the song "Spiders in the Night"!
    I'm a real boy
    I can't believe you could hate this album! Sure Jake e lee is no Randy Rhoads but he's still better than Kirk Hammet! And heavy metal is meant to be about monsters and other crap like that, not some crappy whining blink 182 love song! Ozzy rocks!
    DANGERSTRANGER
    im not sure whether this wa sdone by a critic but the review sucks , i love this album and jake e lee is great ,heaps better than zakk, and i like his playing just as much if not more than randy