Black Rain review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: May 22, 2007
Ozzy Osbourne: Black Rain

In comparison witht he old sound, you can really see how the technology has advanced, throughout the album even though the guitars are in standard pitch they seem very low, dark and sinister making this a great Ozzy album. You have to mention Zakk Wylde in this, I think you can see how he's matured as a guitarist from when he first joined at the age of 19!, with Zakk you have your usuall lovely squeelies :) (Pinch harmonics), and a shed load of pentatonic solo's which makes this a genius album. This sounds like no other Ozzy album, this time they weren't drunk when they wrote the songs, and recorded which makes the focus of the album alot tighter and has brought out some amazing songs, however would the beatles of made good records if they werent stoned half the time? who knows?

I think the lyrics are great, and are reall Ozzy lyrics, identical to old lyrics in style and format but new Ozzy in terms of phrasing of the lyrics, they seem more accidental in this album rather than the deliberate lyrics of say Mr Crowley or Goodbye To Romance. Ozzy's singing skills haven't really changed and he still is The Prince Of Darkness, he's always ever sung the same way, and if he were to release another 50 albums his vocals would still sound the same way as they always ever have, Ozzy, sir, you are a genius!

I think because Ozzy is such an individual you can only compare it to previus Ozzy albums, but only ones with Zakk Wylde since Randy Rhodes and Jake E Lee were so different guitarists. I think this is the best studio album that Zakk and Ozzy have worked on personally, its just, so well put out there, and the certain chords that have been chosen to go over a lick or a lyric are such compositional masterpieces it makes you want to weep. The most impressive songs of the album? All of them, but if I really had to choose I'd say I Don't Wanna Stop, which is a personal song for Ozzy with the lyrics All My Life I've Been Over The Top I Don't Know What I'm Doing All I Know Is I Dont Wanna Stop Also Trap Door really shows Zakk Wyldes sheer brutallity and how much of a riff-meister he is and lastly Lay Your World On Me as it is a really nice ballad