Blizzard of Ozz review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Jan 15, 1981
Ozzy Osbourne: Blizzard of Ozz

Arguably one of the greatest debut solo albums of all time. I don't know how he did it, but Ozzy, despite not being in a nice duo with Iommi, managed to still be as great as ever in his impressive solo album. Besides, who needs Iommi when you've got Randy Rhoads? I guess Ozzy just gets lucky when it comes to guitarists. I have to say, Ozzy sang pretty good on this album, and it really did sound as if he were giving it all he could. He sounds great, and he doesn't even need a Black Sabbath backing him up! Randy Rhoads, what can I say? He's just amazing. He can play great rhythms and seemingly impossible solos as if it were effortless. There's just something about how smoothly he plays such ridiculous stuff that makes him so appealing. Certainly one of the greatest guitar players I've heard in my days. The production value on this album is pretty nice. I mean, Ozzy and Randy sound pretty equal; it's not like with some metal bands where the singer sucks and is really quiet and they let the guitar do all the work, or vice-versa. It's Ozzy and Randy, all the way, and they've created certainly one of the greatest triumph of the '80s.

I hate to admit it, but the lyrics department is really lacking in a lot of songs. Most of them are really immature and completely obvious, which is good for the generic headbanger who-cares-about-lyrics guitar freaks, but when it comes right down to it most metal fans don't want straight-up obviousness. All I can say is that these songs would have been much better had the lyrics been a little more vague. But, with Ozzy singing, it almost goes unnoticed.

I'm happy that Ozzy didn't call it quits for good after leaving Sabbath, because this album would not have been made and that would have been a real shame. This album is really one of the greatest achievements I think of any band/artist ever, and it is definitely worth your money. And please, don't just get it for "Crazy Train," because I guarantee if you turn on your radio any time of the day you'll hear it anyway, so what's the point? That being said, I hope you can enjoy the entire album, because there are some real classics on it. If you don't have it already, have one of your friends who does have it beat the shit out of you for not owning it by now.

fear no beer
    captainchuck wrote: Rhoads is the original shredder! Eddie van who? abso-****in-lutely in my opinion no one has bettered rhoads since either
    fear no beer
    eddie van han halen is amazing to though jus not as amazing as randy rhoads was R.I.P Randy
    mchugh92
    its so sad how randy died so young, he couldve accomplished much more, such a shame, he put his heart and soul into his guitar parts for this album and diary of a madman, i read his ONLY guitar interview in total guitar magazine, and he was expressing interest in doing a solo album, where he could play whatever he wanted, he died a few months after that interview, shame RIP randy, gone but not forgotten
    DrakeMusic4Life
    I just got through listening to this on vinyl. It's very good. It just shows how great Randy was. I was sad when it was over. I wanted to hear more. Well, I guess that I'll just flip it over and listen to it again.
    JimMRocks
    There's Joe Perry and Steven Tyler, there's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but one of the best singer/guitarist duos ever is without a doubt Ozzy and Randy. R.I.P. Randy Rhoads, Irreplaceable.