Blizzard of Ozz review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Jan 15, 1981
Ozzy Osbourne: Blizzard of Ozz

I've listened to this album dozens of times and there's just something about it that I really enjoy. Randy Rhoads and Ozzy were the ultimate guitarist/singer duo, and it shows in their music. I love the story of how Ozzy was humming the tune to "Goodbye to Romance" and Randy asked "What's that?" and Ozzy said "Ohh, nothing, just a tune I've been thinking about." And Randy replied, "Well, let's work it out together". That just goes to show you how much Randy and Ozzy could read each other, and not to mention make one of the best songs on the record! Overall, I believe that this album has the perfect balance of guitar and singing abilities. Another thing that I would like to add is the fact that Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake have never gotten the credit that they deserve. Not only is it important to have a great guitarist/singer relationship going on in a band, but also to have an equally impressive rhythm section, which is what you get on Blizzard. The sound off of Blizzard isn't exactly what I would call heavy metal, but it does have more of a hard rock vibe going on, which I like.

Some of the reviews I have read concerning the lyrics from Blizzard are just down right harsh. How could you possibly say that the lyrics on this album are anything but awesome? If you really want to hear bad lyrics, just listen to "Let Me Hear You Scream" and "Soul Sucker". There is absolutely no meaning to those songs whatsoever! Anyway, in my honest opinion I believe that the lyrics on Blizzard are incredible. My top three favorite songs off of that album are "Mr. Crowley", "I Don't Know", and "Goodbye to Romance", although I can't really tell you which songs that I don't like, since there isn't a bad song on this album. Overall, Ozzy's singing skills were at its peak during the making of BOO and DOAM, and I definitely think that Randy was able to use Ozzy's range to his advantage and make 9 of the best songs of all time. The music and lyrics mesh perfectly together, and if it weren't for Randy Rhoads (well, and Sharon to an extent) Ozzy would have faded away into obscurity soon after he was kicked out of Black Sabbath.

This album is by far my favorite Ozzy album, AND my favorite album of all time period. In all honesty, I will add that I am completely biased when it comes to Blizzard, mainly because it was the first serious rock n' roll/heavy metal album that I had ever experienced. I still remember being all of 12 years old and hearing Randy Rhoads for the first time. And I mean that guy could PLAY. Without a shadow of a doubt in my mind he is the reason why I play electric guitar, as is this album. Blizzard is THE definite Ozzy album of all time. What??? You might be saying. "But... Diary of a Madman! Over the Mountain!! C'mon the solo on Flying High Again is unreal!!" Of course, I don't and won't even try to dispute that Diary is an incredibly unbelievable step up from Blizzard, but then again liking one album more than another is completely based on opinion, and all opinions are correct, in my opinion. In lamest terms, I love Blizzard because of the fact that it is a complete and utter explosion of inspiration and intelligence. None of the songs really mesh together (in a good way of course!), and there is no "well the sky's the limit" vibe going on! It is absolutely amazing, and if you have never heard this album, then I highly suggest that you go out and buy it (just be careful and skip the crappy 2002 version), because it is something that you could never regret.

MaggaraMarine
    Thayil_Noise wrote: DEE is "unquestionably" the weakest song? Are you ****ing retarded? That is an amazing peice of music. So much better than the shit "eruption". It was written for his mother, and is such a great song, you dont need to shred to make great music.
    You are right about that shredding thing. Not every solo needs to be as fast as you can play. Oh, and about the solo of "Crazy Train": I don't find it that special. But I find the fills he plays much more interesting. I don't get it why everybody says that it's the best guitar solo in the world. Just tapping some arpeggios and some 16th note shredding that you can find on almost any guitar solo from the '80s. But listen to the fills Randy plays on this song, they are great.