Speak Of The Devil review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Jan 1, 1982
Ozzy Osbourne: Speak Of The Devil

I picked up this CD for $10 bucks at Wal-Mart about a month ago and have to say it is one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard. This was supposed to be a recorded live show to display the live set for the Diary of A Madman tour. At the last minute it was changed to feature only Black Sabbath covers so that it could compete with Black Sabbath's latest live album, Live Evil, which featured Ozzy's replacement, Ronnie James Dio. Unfourtunately, Randy Rhoads had died just months earlier and is filled in by Brad Gilles on this album. There are no innovations because most of the songs were written 8 to 12 years prior.

Black Sabbath had some of the best lyrics of all time! From songs about drugs (Snowblind, Fairies Wear Boots, Sweet Leaf), to songs about war and revenge (War Pigs, Iron Man), to songs about the world's impending doom (Children Of The Grave, Black Sabbath). All the lyrics relate perfectly to the music in the way that they both make a cringe go through your body. Ozzy sounds great on this album except that in few songs his voice sounds even higher than usual.

This is honestly better than any other live Black Sabbath albums (even Reunion). It may not be quite as good as The Randy Rhoads Tribute Album, but it is still completely mind blowing. In my opinion the best songs are Fairies Wear Boots, which is given even more edge here, and Sympton Of The Universe because it's just so powerfull and a great opening number. I would recommend this to any fan of good music and if it were stolen or lost I would buy it again the first chance I got.

M.B.MetalTabber
    Actually, it was changed to feature only black sabbath songs because randy rhoads died and ozzy felt that it would be an insult to randy's memory to play songs that randy had written so soon after his death, and did you know that ozzy actually had a book at the front of the stage with all the lyrics in them to the songs so that he didn't need to remember them because he wasn't up to thinking about what he was doing after the tragic incident of randy rhoads dying!!
    Jesus_Dean
    I played in a band back in the mid-late 80's and this album was our setlist. Straight through, solo for solo even Ozzys' comments between songs. Lots of good arguments there as to just what the **** he had said in his limey dialect. I'm a huge Sabbath fan, but this blew the originals away. Huge bombastic drums, screaming guitar, thundering bass and Ozzy.
    Dukey
    I remember listening to a shitty version of Never Say Die that slowed down the tempo and destroyed the fun part of this song. Which is the entire song.