The Essential Ozzy Osbourne review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Feb 11, 2003
Ozzy Osbourne: The Essential Ozzy Osbourne

Being a compilation, this album has a pretty diverse sound since Ozzy changed his guitarist several times over the years (Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde all appear on this album). Personally I think that the Randy Rhoads sections are the best, but there are a lot of pretty heavy passages throughout this album, as well as some somber, mellowed-out pieces from all 3 of the guitarists. Furthermore, Ozzy's vocals seem to have a really diverse sound on this album also, and that's always a plus for me. Most of the songs that appear on this album are generally Ozzy's bigger hits and anthems, with a few tunes that I would consider "filler"; but all in all, it's really a great-sounding collection, and I probably would have had a hard time coming up with a better list that covers Ozzy's solo career up until that point.

I'll be honest, I was never really a huge Ozzy fan in terms of vocals, even from his Sabbath days, but I must say that a lot of the songs that appear on this album are very well written and have a lot of range in terms of pitch. They really seems to get in a mood to sort of sing along and air-guitar, but it's really just the choice of word that seem to get you going, and not so much that actual vocals. Also, as the years went by, Ozzy really seemed to progress and gain a lot much more control over his voice on songs like "Gets Me Through" for example and I gotta give him props for that.

This is a great collection of Ozzy songs and is a must for any Ozzy fans. Personally, I think that the Randy Rhoads material always has (and always will) be the best of Ozzy's releases, so I'd rather get those albums (and would suggest them) instead. The best tunes in my opinion are "Mr. Crowley", "Crazy Train", "Bark At The Moon", "Crazy Babies" & "Miracle Man." One thing that I must say is a disappointment that there aren't that many songs that made the cut that I believe should have as opposed to some of the tracks that did (which were surprising to hear). But other than that it's a really good track listing. In the end, if this album were lost or stolen, I'd replace it I suppose, but it's the actual individual albums that really seem more fun to listen to than just a simple compilation.

kow God
    nirvana_62 : This is a great cd The first disc is better than the first.....idiot
    Shreddin 4 Life
    learn to use the quote button...idiot... anyways, yeah, the first disc is better than the 2nd imo too
    jestin
    i like it, but i don't. They covered randy r. and zakk, but the there's not one song fromt the ultimate sin album!!! and that's one of my favorites