The Essential Ozzy Osbourne review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Feb 11, 2003
Ozzy Osbourne: The Essential Ozzy Osbourne

This collection covers a great range of Ozzy sounds on 2 discs. Hell, it's got Randy Rhoads, #3 best rock guitarist of all time in my book (topped only by Slash, and Eddie Van Halen). It's got some heavy songs like Thunder Underground, Diary of a Madman, and a few live songs from the Randy Rhoads era, like I Don't Know. And of course, there's the acoustic ballads like Goodbye to Romance, and Mama I'm Coming Home. There's the orchestral songs like I Just Want You, Perry Mason, and some nice synth work as displayed in No More Tears with the unforgettable bass riff, and Mr. Crowley. And I haven't even started on just Ozzy's voice! Ozzy sounds like no other vocalist I've heard, and his voice is truely unique. His voice can be heavey, soft, dark, light, and is very versatile. The songs are all original on this set, and the songs featured truely are some essential Ozzy Osbourne songs.

Here are some of my favorite songs. Mr. Crowley - it's got that dark organ and the bass synth in the intro, a sweet solo, Ozzy's unique voice, and it flows pretty smoothly. Diary Of A Madman - possibly the darkest song I've ever heard with an acoustic guitar, and when an electric kicks in with distortion, the riff just has a metal feel. It's even got some fiddle/violin stuff in there too, and even a little bit of a western feel to it at the violin part. Dreamer - a great piano ballad, and the lyrics are great. It's got a nostalgic feel to it, and it shows the musical range of Ozzy when it comes to creating original lyrics and music. Do I really need to say anything about lyrical impression? Dang, I'm impressed. And singer skillZ? It's Ozzy Osbourne, the Iron Man, the Prince of Darkness, and funniest father on reality television ever. Of course he's got skills.

When it comes to style, Ozzy is so much different than Steve Miller or The Police, to name a few. And the closest thing I can possibly think of that's anything like Ozzy is GN'R, but still that's comparing styles. Pretty much all the songs on this CD are impressive. It's got a complete range, from a hard metal song to a soft piano ballad, to a fast-paced beat to a slow and nostalgic song. There's so much to love in this CD, and the only thing I can think of negatively is that this CD doesn't work on my CD player in my room, but that's the CD player, not the CD. If you have ears, if you like Ozzy, if you like any music from the 1980's, if you like fast-paced songs, rock, metal, power ballads, piano ballads or acoustic ballads, if you have any self-respect, money, a CD player of some sort, then this CD is for you. Otherwise you're dead or deaf. In which case you should still have this CD anyway.