The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Review

Ozzy Osbourne: The Essential Ozzy Osbourne
Release Date: Feb 11, 2003
Label: Sony
Genres: Hard Rock, British Metalm, Album Rock, Heavy Metal, Neo-Classical Metal
This 29-track collection presents most of the highlights of his solo career, from Blizzard Of Ozz to Down To Earth.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.5
 9.2
 9.8
The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Reviewed by: DVT, on february 09, 2007

Sound: Damn, there is one word right there that sums up this compilation, every song is amazing, from the first "all aboard" that Ozzy shouts at the beginning of "Crazy Train" on Disc 1, it never stops. Ozzy has employed some of the best metal guitarist in history, Randy Rhoads is on the first 9 tracks of the album showing why he is a Guitar Legend with classic solos on "Crazy Train" and "Mr. Crowley" and Zakk Wylde from shows why he is Ozzy's guitar player to this day, with that, this music shows why Ozzy is the best example of metal music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album shows a variety of content, ranging from insanity to lost love. "Goodbye to Romance" is a great song about heartache and optimism, and "Flying High Again" is a song about get high and doing drugs. Although Ozzy hasn't been know to have the best voice in music, sings with a lot of passion and feeling. // 10

Overall Impression: This is not the most complete compilation (such as the "Prince Of Darkness" box set) but it covers Ozzy's greatest hits and that's a freaking awesome thing, every song has contributed to making Ozzy a rock legend. From the early hits to the more resent successes, this is very good for a career spanning compilation. // 10

The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on november 28, 2006

Sound: This collection covers a great range of Ozzy sounds on 2 discs. Hell, it's got Randy Rhoads, #3 best rock guitarist of all time in my book (topped only by Slash, and Eddie Van Halen). It's got some heavy songs like Thunder Underground, Diary of a Madman, and a few live songs from the Randy Rhoads era, like I Don't Know. And of course, there's the acoustic ballads like Goodbye to Romance, and Mama I'm Coming Home. There's the orchestral songs like I Just Want You, Perry Mason, and some nice synth work as displayed in No More Tears with the unforgettable bass riff, and Mr. Crowley. And I haven't even started on just Ozzy's voice! Ozzy sounds like no other vocalist I've heard, and his voice is truely unique. His voice can be heavey, soft, dark, light, and is very versatile. The songs are all original on this set, and the songs featured truely are some essential Ozzy Osbourne songs. // 10

Lyrics: Here are some of my favorite songs. Mr. Crowley - it's got that dark organ and the bass synth in the intro, a sweet solo, Ozzy's unique voice, and it flows pretty smoothly. Diary Of A Madman - possibly the darkest song I've ever heard with an acoustic guitar, and when an electric kicks in with distortion, the riff just has a metal feel. It's even got some fiddle/violin stuff in there too, and even a little bit of a western feel to it at the violin part. Dreamer - a great piano ballad, and the lyrics are great. It's got a nostalgic feel to it, and it shows the musical range of Ozzy when it comes to creating original lyrics and music. Do I really need to say anything about lyrical impression? Dang, I'm impressed. And singer skillZ? It's Ozzy Osbourne, the Iron Man, the Prince of Darkness, and funniest father on reality television ever. Of course he's got skills. // 10

Overall Impression: When it comes to style, Ozzy is so much different than Steve Miller or The Police, to name a few. And the closest thing I can possibly think of that's anything like Ozzy is GN'R, but still that's comparing styles. Pretty much all the songs on this CD are impressive. It's got a complete range, from a hard metal song to a soft piano ballad, to a fast-paced beat to a slow and nostalgic song. There's so much to love in this CD, and the only thing I can think of negatively is that this CD doesn't work on my CD player in my room, but that's the CD player, not the CD. If you have ears, if you like Ozzy, if you like any music from the 1980's, if you like fast-paced songs, rock, metal, power ballads, piano ballads or acoustic ballads, if you have any self-respect, money, a CD player of some sort, then this CD is for you. Otherwise you're dead or deaf. In which case you should still have this CD anyway. // 10

The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Reviewed by: Dimebag13, on march 13, 2006

Sound: The quality of the music on this CD comes from Ozzy first started solo with Randy right through to with Zakk. I believe that the older songs on the disc have been remastered as the quality of each song is that of a song you would buy from a new aspiring artist in the modern day. The different tonal changes whether it be from Randys guitar to Zakks pinch harmonic riffs or Ozzy voice changing with age all songs are individual and unique, easily being distinguished as an Ozzy Osbourne song. With some tracks being live versions you get a true idea as to Ozzy's music over the past 20 or so years. // 10

Lyrics: Ozzy's lyrics have always had a meaning. Some copping some bad reviews such as Suicide Solution, others that are just unique like Mr. Crowley or Diary of a Madman. Although Ozzy's voice has lowered in quality with time he's still able to perform it to the best of his ability. See Live at Budokan. // 6

Overall Impression: I think that Essential Ozzy is a must have CD. It gives you the chance to hear some of Ozzy's best hits over the past 20 or so years in the space of 2 compact discs. The most favourite songs would have to come down to what everyone personally enjoys listening to, for me that would be Road To Nowhere, Goodbye To Romance, No More Tears and Mama, I'm Comin' Home. Theres nothing to hate about this CD unless you hate Ozzy, all songs are some of his and his band members' best and nothing can doubt his writing ability. If I lost this CD I would be straight down to the CD shop to buy another copy. It's something every Ozzy fan should have. // 10

The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on october 20, 2006

Sound: Being a compilation, this album has a pretty diverse sound since Ozzy changed his guitarist several times over the years (Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde all appear on this album). Personally I think that the Randy Rhoads sections are the best, but there are a lot of pretty heavy passages throughout this album, as well as some somber, mellowed-out pieces from all 3 of the guitarists. Furthermore, Ozzy's vocals seem to have a really diverse sound on this album also, and that's always a plus for me. Most of the songs that appear on this album are generally Ozzy's bigger hits and anthems, with a few tunes that I would consider "filler"; but all in all, it's really a great-sounding collection, and I probably would have had a hard time coming up with a better list that covers Ozzy's solo career up until that point. // 9

Lyrics: I'll be honest, I was never really a huge Ozzy fan in terms of vocals, even from his Sabbath days, but I must say that a lot of the songs that appear on this album are very well written and have a lot of range in terms of pitch. They really seems to get in a mood to sort of sing along and air-guitar, but it's really just the choice of word that seem to get you going, and not so much that actual vocals. Also, as the years went by, Ozzy really seemed to progress and gain a lot much more control over his voice on songs like "Gets Me Through" for example and I gotta give him props for that. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great collection of Ozzy songs and is a must for any Ozzy fans. Personally, I think that the Randy Rhoads material always has (and always will) be the best of Ozzy's releases, so I'd rather get those albums (and would suggest them) instead. The best tunes in my opinion are "Mr. Crowley", "Crazy Train", "Bark At The Moon", "Crazy Babies" & "Miracle Man." One thing that I must say is a disappointment that there aren't that many songs that made the cut that I believe should have as opposed to some of the tracks that did (which were surprising to hear). But other than that it's a really good track listing. In the end, if this album were lost or stolen, I'd replace it I suppose, but it's the actual individual albums that really seem more fun to listen to than just a simple compilation. // 8

Comments