The Ultimate Sin review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Aug 22, 1995
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ultimate Sin

This is Ozzy's 4th solo studio album and his 2nd featuring Jake E Lee on guitar, The album was recorded with the same line up that appeared on Bark at the moon and thus sounds similar in style. The lyrics are simple but effective as are the riffs, the highlights on this album for me are Lee's quick and flashy solos however ozzy was less impressed with Lee resulting in him leaving the band soon after release.

In terms of lyrics this album is a bit dissapointing, being as there are very few catchy tunes and most songs are indestinguishable from each other also ozzy's voice lacks the trademark wail of his earlier records aswell as the creepy drone of his later records. Overall the singing is faultless but by no means his best.

All in all this is an ok album similar to bark at the moon but not quite as good. I would rate it 7/10 because of it's better songs like shot in the dark, the ultimate sin and secret looser but the rest seems mostly like filler. I love the shredding and brilliant guitar work eventhough Lee was no Randy Rhoads he didn't try to be which I like about his work. The repetativeness is worst thing about this album but apart from that it's quite good. If my CD was stolen I would replace it but it wouldt be a priority for me.

Jesus_Dean
    impropagation66
    Definitely my favorite. Either this or No More Tears. There's definitely some great gems on this album, especially the beginning of Killer Of Giants.
    quinlikesmetal
    people say that it was too hair metal and main stream, but if you realy listen to it, the music in it is great, especially the guitar work. killer of giants has an amazing classical-type intro
    guitarking15935
    the ultimate sin was one of ozzy's greatest albums it had that timeless 80's tone jake e lee was an amazing guitarist it was a shame that ozzy fired him i think he should bring him back and write an album im 14, the first time i heard the album it was on tape and i found it in my parents tape stash first time i heard it i went nuts and you cant compare great guitar players like jake and randy they both brought 2 amazing albums to the rock scene ozzy brought him along for a reason, that was bark at the moon and the ultimate sin albums both classics
    Wizardwrath
    I love the track "The Ultimate Sin" because the song makes me want to march into the darkness >
    minchew
    MetaMegaMagic : Lee may have rocked, but is nothing next to Randy. I don't think anybody could really compare to Randy. I am yet to hear someone come close to playing almost as well as him. A lot of players now (mostly metal) use a lot of flash in their playing, but Randy had soul in his playing.
    wheelz
    I love this album! Killer of Giants is worth the price of admission all by itself. Jake E. Lee ROCKED on this album as did Ozzy and the rest of the band. I saw two shows from this tour in two separate locations and both times Lee was treated with a lot of respect by the fans. Great album!
    I am the Drake
    It's not Osbourne's best, but it's not that bad. I bought it on vinyl a couple of months ago at a flea market. A great find!
    Smithsc
    Jesus_Dean wrote: Ooooohhh first!! I remember when this came out, and I really felt sorry for Jake E. Lee trying to play in the shadow of the great one. Lee is a fine guitarist and shows it on this album, unfortunately no one was cutting him any breaks. I watched him on this tour shredding and rolling around across the stage, and hundreds of kids were booing him. I guess they thought booing Lee would bring Rhoads back. I dunno.
    yeah too bad really.
    Rajah
    I got this album when it came out in 1986 and it's my favorite of his. Everytime I hear it I think of when I was growing up so it holds special memories for me. Sure, Jake's no Randy, but he's Jake so it makes it special in it's own way. I know Ozzy hates this album and that Jake wasn't happy with the way it was recorded but I still love it. I still listen to it once a week without fail.
    MetalManiac_86
    Good album (of course it is, it's Ozzy!) But I feel the same. The songwriting, vocals and guitar work are all, for the most part, uninspired I guess you would say. There are definitely shining moments that make it worth listening to for any Ozzy fan, but this is one of his weakest efforts.
    Xraiser