The Ultimate Sin review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Aug 22, 1995
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ultimate Sin

Jake's playing really stands out here. I just love the sound of the guitar on this album. I know Ozzy wasn't satisfied with the general sound and even wanted to rerecord it with Zakk in '88 or so. It has it's flaws but it isn't THAT bad. It's just a typical mid 80's heavy metal sound. Lots of keyboards and effects. It suits it well, actually. I read somewhere that Jake spent a couple of days in the studio just finding the perfect sound for the guitar, testing different amp settings and finally settling on the one you can hear on the album.

Overall, the lyrics are quite shallow and this I think is the album's weakest point. I think the strongest lyrics can be found on "Killer Of Giants", but that's just my opinion. As far as singer skills, Ozzy has never been an awesome vocalist but he does his own thing, has a unique voice and you can pick him out of 100 other singers.

I think it was my first Ozzy album that I listened to so I was able to enjoy it without comparing it to the others. I was stricken by Jake's playing. The solo's blew my mind. It's definitely more commercial and radio friendly than Ozzy's previous work but that doesn't make it less worthy of being in a metal fan's collection. Most impressive songs are Killer Of Giants, Shot In The Dark, Never Know Why, Secret Loser and Fool Like You. I like this album mostly because of the guitar work. In my opinion, Jake E. Lee is a very underrated guitarist and I don't understand why. He did 2 great albums with Ozzy, most tracks of which he wrote. It's a shame nobody talks about him anymore. Guess that has to do with the fact that he is no longer playing in big bands, which is unfortunate for us, the fans. If I would lose the album I would definitely buy it again, I have to have it in my collection.