The Ultimate Sin review by Ozzy Osbourne

• Released: Aug 22, 1995
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ultimate Sin

The band in total sounds fine, of course there are places and songs where it is less impressive, and then there are songs where it's simply stunning. Considering the fact that this album was shunned by the hardcore fans, I think it has done well in being discovered by fans in these modern times, who knew nothing about it. There is quite alot of Hair and Glam metal tracks on this, including "Lightning Strikes", "Never Know Why" especially, and Never. If anyone thought so, then that is definitely not a negative thing! I really enjoy "Never", because of it's very melodic chorus and just general good feel with the very Glam-sounding delay on pretty much the entire mix. Although in some of the verses, you can definitely hear Ozzy going half a tone above the intended. Lightning Strikes grooves greatly in the verse, but in the chorus it goes a little too much into the happy Hair feel, coming out of a very heavy verse. "Never Know Why" never caught my attention as much as most of the other songs. Each song has a catchy hookline, but there has to be one that just doesn't cut it, and that must be "Never Know Why". Just like everyone else's opinions indicate, "Killer Of Giants" is a sure classic of this album, also, good praise to "Secret Loser" and "Shot In The Dark". So in total, the way it's been produced, I think it has a thin sound, but the ideas and melodies are great.

My impression of the lyrics is very mixed. I loved the lyrics in "Secret Loser", "Killer Of Giants" and "Fool Like You". Very good play on words. But in the rest, the lyrics are kind of thin and clich. There are just too many lines that are abused throughout music history. But hey, we are dealing with Glam here... It's meant to be corny. It deals alot with the cold war, which is one thing, but the fact that it musically is very gloomey already, the lyrics don't exactly brighten it up. So I kind of get tired of the dark feel of this album. Still, musically, gloomey or not, it's impressive and very listener-friendly. I think that this album contains some of the songs where Ozzy sings best. He had a very nasal sound in both "Blizzard Of Ozz" and "Diary Of A Madman", and in Bark at The Moon he opened up more. In this, he opened up completely. In this album, he tries alot more to really be that blonde, bushy-haired, actual singer. To be that icon, and with the huge hairdo he had at this time, he partially lived up to it. In the ending parts of "Never", he really does a great job, and in "Shot In The Dark", he delivers to full potential. Also in "Secret Loser" and "Killer Of Giants", he sings in a corny way, without making it too much. So great job there.

The lineup from "Bark At The Moon" returned with "The Ultimate Sin" in '86, and I really think this album is underrated. Many fans, including Ozzy himself, see this album as "The Black Sheep" among Ozzy albums. But to be honest, I think "Ozzmosis" and after are way worse. This album contains songs that are easy to listen to, most of the time anyway, and I haven't found a song yet that I really HATE. I like most of the songs, and few of them are just not interesting, but not BAD. Being a person who wasn't even alive in the 80's, this album gives you a very good feeling of how it was. The music, the overall situation in the world, all of that. Jake does a great job, and Ozzy, technically, sings better than on any of the previous albums (There! I said it!). So in total, I give this album a 7. As I said, it's underrated, and one of his more recognizable albums.