Murdered Love review by P.O.D.

• Released: Jul 10, 2012
P.O.D.: Murdered Love

"Murdered Love" was produced by long-time producer Howard Benson was also produced "The Fundamental Elements Of Southtown" and "Satellite". As such "Murdered Love" offers a sounds very reminiscent of the two aforementioned albums (actually being something of a combination of the two) and it does it very well. The album offers a decent range of sounds (albeit all within the nu-metal/alternative metal/rap-metal genres). Songs such as "Eyez" and "Murdered Love" offering offer a grungy rap-metal sound with heavy guitar rips and raw vocals while songs like "Higher" and "Beautiful" offer a significant shift in mood; being softer and offering the more spiritually uplifting lyrics that P.O.D. I have always enjoyed the guitar style of Marcos Curiel, particularly in "The Fundamental Elements Of Southtown" and "Satellite". This album is no different. While Curiel might not bring anything particularly new to the table he makes very effective use of power chords and half bars in choruses as well as offering decent riffs throughout the verses. A particular example of this can be seen in "On Fire" in which Curiel where a simple but very effective use of wah in the verse and power chords in the chorus make this one of my favourite songs.

Being a Christian band there is of course a lot of spirituality involved in the lyrics. The lyrics convey a fierce passion without becoming too angst-ridden particularly in the song "i Am" in which the heavy guitar riff and bass line complement the intensity of the lyrics. I find that even as an Atheist I am able appreciate the apparent depth and honesty in their spirituality and I believe this says a lot about their lyrics. Having said that the album has one stumbling point (so to speak) when it comes to lyrics and that is the song "Bad Boy". While I appreciate the sentiment in the line "You know I'm a bad boy\But I like good girls" I just find it hard to see Sonny; a devote Christian as a "Bad Boy". That is not to say I don't like this song (I particularly enjoy the bridge) but it just doesn't seem like a "true" P.O.D. song to me. Sonny's voice lends itself very well to this brand of alternative metal/rap metal. As well as being a very apt rapper he is able to deliver powerful, raw vocals in the heavier songs such as "On Fire" and "Murdered Love" as well as a softer more melodic tone in the "softer" (relatively speaking of course) alternative metal songs such as "Lost In Forever". His voice also lends itself particularly well to songs with strong reggae elements such as "Babylon The Murderer" and "Panic And Run".

This is easily my favourite P.O.D. album since "Satellite". In terms of nu-metal/rap-metal you can't go wrong with P.O.D. The most standout songs of the album for me would be "Murdered Love", "Babylon The Murderer" and "On Fire". Overall this is a great album; it feels like the band really put a lot of heart and effort into it. If you enjoyed "The Fundamental Elements Of Southtown" and "Satellite" then you need to go out and buy this album. With the dwindling album sales that the band has seen in past years it seems like an unfortunate reality that this album will get significantly less attention than it deserves.

crazysam23_Atax
    EpiExplorer wrote: This band are still around? Always were a second rate Korn, and Korn aren't doing to well either.
    That's the most ignorant way of putting it. Korn and P. O. D. NEVER even sounded the same. /facepalm
    mysticguitar77
    Mr Winters wrote: EyesWideOpen wrote: Don't think I'll be listening to these bible bashers any time soon. Forget religion and just focus on the music. I'm an atheist and I have no problem with some musicians being religious.
    Agreed, I'm also Atheist and realize music has no religion. If it sounds good I'm listening to it, regardless if it's Christian or not because there are some really good Christian bands out there shouldn't be avoided just because you're not Christian. And P.O.D.'s music isn't as preachy as they could be, they keep it at a general fundamental level so all groups of people could enjoy their music religious or not. Also, take a listen to the song "I Am" which has explicit lyrics which is against the Bible and has many Christians upset over it which further proves Sonny is keeping an open mind when it comes to religion and is not just a Bible basher and mindlessly praises it like many people tend to do.
    vppark2
    i heard a few of their new songs, although im not a big fan of these guys im quite impressed by the sound they developed.
    Mr Winters
    mysticguitar77
    lolz, probably listened to what, 2 P.O.D. songs to make such an ignorant statement as this? Do us a favor and don't talk sh*t about music you've obviously never listened to. Now, for the album, this has quickly become one of my favorite albums this year and arguably, their most diverse album yet. You'll hear some reggae, some punk, some nu-metal, everything P.O.D. fans have come to love and therefore every type of P.O.D fan, whether you like the old stuff or the new, will find something to enjoy on this album. In my opinion, P.O.D.'s second best album behind their self-titled.
    Mr Winters
    Gave a listen to the album and got a good impression from it. West Coast Rock Steady is AWE-FUCK ING-SOME
    katalyzt13
    Epi, I normally agree with you, but I have to disagree on this point. While POD isn't my favorite band by any means they offer a lot that Korn doesn't - the biggest thing being their message is mostly positive while Korn isn't. While that isn't reason enough to like a band on its own, it is a fundamental difference which carries over to their overall sound.
    Mikeyrox3162
    I love how not all atheists are thick headed that they enjoy the lyrics a christian band gives out! excellent review and I love this album!
    PumpyFly
    Great album. P.O.D. has always been my favorite band but their last effort disappointed me. This album is more like it. With the exception of 'Bad Boy', every song on this album is classic P.O.D. I really hope they get some attention with songs 'Higher' and 'Beautiful'. Solid effort. 9/10
    BeRaD
    This is way more "Southtown" than "Satellite". That being said, I don't like Southtown. I loved Satellite.
    nasedase
    Absolutely love the song Portrait off of Satellite. Makes me wish they did a whole metal/hardcore album.
    KentHawkings
    While the is undoubtedly true I would still say that there is a lot of the sound from Satellite in it with songs like "On Fire" and "Babylon the Murderer" (in my opinion at least).
    ant_smusher
    Sounds like they're still emo... EMO DIED HALF A DECADE AGO!! It committed suicide baha
    fastfingers10
    You make me not want to live on this planet anymore. That's exactly like comparing apples and oranges.
    frost.fall.5
    Someone above us called P.O.D. Emo. Oh ****. I think I just heard every dead musician in existence, roll over in their collective graves.
    KentHawkings
    Haha, thanks. I've always been impressed with the way that P.O.D. are able to express there spirituality without resorting to sounding fanatical about there beliefs.