Payable On Death review by P.O.D.

• Released: Nov 4, 2003
P.O.D.: Payable On Death

When POD first entered into the mainstream music scene, their sound was an infusion of rap and heavy rock, with a dash of reggae. On the CD Payable On Death, they have a sound all their own. They take away some of the Rage Against The Machine type angry rap, and add more rock. Part of the reason for this is the addition of Truby, the new guitarist replacing Marcos, the guitarist for their earlier records. Sonny, the lead singer, has also changed his style. Instead of the angrier, more menacing vocals on earlier CD's, Sonny's vocals are more laid back, with a reggae-dub flavor to them. If you liked the way POD sounded on Satellite or The Fundemental Elements Of Southtown, you may shy away from their lighter, metal side. This new sound is showcased heavily in Payable On Death. However, they still rock harder han most abnds out there. Overall, it is a new, unique sound, and is definitely worth checking out if you are a long-time fan, or have never heard of POD.

Sonny is definitely a skilled songwriter. The lyrics on the CD are easy to relate to and well written. However, that does not add to his singing talent. While he can rap well, and adds some very cool island-jamaican sounding vocals, that doesn't make up for the fact that he can't sing well. On earlier albums where there was more rap and less rock, this was not a problem. Because of the change in sound, you can easily tell that pure singing isn't Sonny's best musical quaity. Apart from this, the lyrics and music work very well together. Truby, the new guitarist, is able to add a new sound on guitar that works with Sonny's new style. All in all, if you like POD's new sound, you will like the way the vocals sound as well. If not, then you probably won't have this CD in your player for very long. The lyrics are thoughtful, well put together, and easy to relate to.

Overall, this CD is a fairly good CD. It has a new, unique sound, that you might or might not like. My favorite song is Execute The Sounds, which has an island feel to it. It blends all of POD's sounds into 1 song. I also like Will You, Revolution, an Find My Way. Also, while I like the instrumental song Eternal, others may not. I like how POD is bringing in a new sound that is totally unique from any other bands. What I don't like is the vocals. With more singing and less rap, you can see the vocals aren't top notch. Overall, it is a pretty good CD.