When Angels & Serpents Dance review by P.O.D.

• Released: Apr 8, 2008
P.O.D.: When Angels & Serpents Dance

I'm very excited with the new P.O.D. album. The band has done an amazing job and it really deserves to be heard from everyone. The 3 instruments do their job really well. Amazing guitar parts with excellent bass lines and drum rythms. For once again they play a mix with reggae, rock and some punk.Unlike the previous albums, P.O.D. have managed to make their own and unique sound through the years. The guitarist uses a lot of delay effects and his guitar sound is crystal!

The lyrics couldn't be far from christianity, peace and love. We all know that the band has a huge faith to god. The lyrics match perfectly with the rythms, riffs or melodies. And Sonny' singing and rapping skills (wich rapping has been decreased in this album) are getting a lot better. Despite the normal american accent that he has, he sometimes uses the Jamaican accent like "Jah know" and stuff. And in the song "I'll Be Ready" it has a feature with The Marley Girls.

I believe it is their best album so far, and I don't think that there's any song that I didn't quite liked in the album. Although the song that impressed me a lot was "It Can't Rain Everyday" wich has an amazing guitar part. And as I mentioned before the band has done an amazing job.

Rosseta Stoned
    kakaixero wrote: Notoriousdoc wrote: fob12 wrote: sowhat360 wrote: these guys are still making music?? and religious music?? has that always been their intent or is it just easier to sell albums at midnight on tv that way? MTV and religion dont really mix well, wasnt their first "hit rock the party"?Yeah it was, but who said Christians can't have fun? Their god? Do me a favor and look up in the bible where it said "and God said thou shalt not party" statements like that make me think you are trying to make a lame jab at Christianity...which furthermore makes you sound stupid for not knowing what your talking about. this is probably my favorite P.O.D. album...aside from The fundamental elements of southtown. However, I liked truby as an addition, I'm glad the old band is back together..
    kakaixero
    qotsa1998
    Their first album was awesome. I used to listen to that CD sooo much, i dont kno if itll play now. I havent really heard much from em after that, but i didnt like Youth of the Nation much, or Alive. Boom is pretty good, tho. I think im gonna listen to some stuff off here sometime.
    GuitarPlayer716
    I agree, their cds have totally gone downhill. They should probably just quit while they're ahead...or behind as the case may be...
    Cannibalkyle16
    fob12 wrote: sowhat360 wrote: these guys are still making music?? and religious music?? has that always been their intent or is it just easier to sell albums at midnight on tv that way? MTV and religion dont really mix well, wasnt their first "hit rock the party"? Yeah it was, but who said Christians can't have fun?
    the bible...their bible...not literaly...but most things involved with partying.... guess religions become more of a image thing just like everything else
    CapnKickass
    I agree with those who think Fundamental Elements is the best, it's sweet. In my opinion this album and Satellite are more or less tied for a close second. Mike Muir is awesome. I'd say for Jason Truby, if anything at least he had the Eternal instrumental on Payable On Death, it was phenomenal.
    kakaixero
    Rosseta Stoned wrote: Geez, i realize it was a lame joke but lighten up a little. To be on topic i was really impressed of how they have evolved their sound. Great album
    eh, being a Christian I get tired of people bashing my religion like that...I mean I understand that there are different points of view out there, and I am in no way trying to convert anyone...It's just not cool to bash someones faith and beliefs like that..epically without knowing what you're talking about.
    Matt_1213
    You've got no clue dude. Just because we're not going out and getting blind drunk every saturday doesn't mean we're not enjoying ourselves. For example, I just came back from a weekend dirt bike riding with all the blokes from my church. Ask anyone who's become a Christian; they'll tell you they enjoy life far more now than they did before. And show me one spot in the Bible where God says 'You shall not have fun'. Make sure you know what you're saying before you run your mouth off. In other news, this album rocks. Doesn't get up there at TFEOS or Sattelite level, but their style is too different now to really compare it anyway. Definitely worth buying :
    Notoriousdoc
    The bible also says a lot of weird shit about evil snakes and rib women so I think it's completely free to be ridiculed. I also at no point said that getting drunk every saturday is fun. It's just terribly hypocritical of you all to complain about me not reading the bible when if you at any point read it seriously you'd find a lot of things in that say you can;'t go listening to rock music or having fun in any way at all. That said, Satellite was pretty awesome musically, but the whole Christian thing puts me off anything. Have fun kids.
    g.flye
    This will be the most 'slept on' album of 2008. People will not see this one coming at all!! In short, the best album that I have heard to date!! Although I'm not a hardcore P.O.D. fan, this album is completely on another level. The previous album 'Payable On Death' is as far as I go with this band. It's rare to find an album that has better than 50% of the track listings be pure hits!! That's what this album has, Sonny is maturing and you can hear it in the lyrics, the emotion that roils almost to a rage, but then...Marcos this generation's 'guitar hero' (along with Mark Tremonti of Alterbridge--another amazing band!) Song faves: 'When Angels & Serpents Dance (chilling intro!), 'Condescending', 'Shine With Me', 'Addicted', 'It Can't Rain Everyday', 'I'll Be Ready', & 'This Ain't No Ordinary Love Song'. If you're a long time fan...then you already got the album--the rest of you, GET THIS ALBUM!!
    PUNISHER210
    This is a good album marco is really awsome!!!! but i think testifie is better..... and notoriousdoc SHUT UP!!!!!
    PUNISHER210
    This is a good album marco is really awsome!!!! but i think testifie is better..... and notoriousdoc SHUT UP IDIOT !!!!!
    rokket2005
    Disloosh wrote: they should do more songs like Alive and Boom... every time I hear those songs i just wanna hit thing, really good songs when you tired and want to wake up. this new album doesn't have any song like this \=
    I disagree,, Alive and Boom were the reasons I stopped liking POD,,, They have never gotten close to touching Fundamental Elements of Southtown, though I haven't heard this new one.
    GiantRaven
    At least they're trying new things and not repeating themselves
    UrMomsMom
    sounds like something i would listen to and put on repeat... would have to check this one out...
    NorfIrIon
    I'll have to get it next paycheck or something, their last album, I thought, was amazing.
    Mayngel
    Fuck! I am so excited that Marcos is back! He is one of the reasons I first picked up an axe.
    sowhat360
    tim311mahoney
    fob12
    Yeah it was, but who said Christians can't have fun?
    poad
    i liked setallite, but this... ehm, this isn't their best, unfortunatelly i miss the dinamyc from the songs i expected a heavy punk / metal thing, but it's different.
    Covin
    tim311mahoney wrote: jason left because he wanted to be closer to home... meanwhile, they switched labels and that allowed marcos to come back into the fold.
    Uhhh, I thought Truby left because he just wasn't clicking with them anymore. Then Marcos rejoined, THEN they switched labels. Could be wrong though.
    GiantRaven
    Actually they left their label Marcos was revealed to have rejoined Truby was revealed to have left Not to sure how the events happened but thats how I heard them
    xXChimairaXx
    it's sucks when religion gets in the way with music. they're are plenty of anti-christian/satanist bands out there that people love, so why not give a christian band a try. it's not like they're trying to convert you or something. just don't let it affect you, there's too many great bands to listen to.
    Disloosh
    dobby240
    i agree wish disloosh alive and boom were their best ever, the rest were kinda ... not feeling it school of hardknocks is good too
    Notoriousdoc
    Their god?
    GoToSleep
    this is definitely a more mature sounding POD, don't expect FEOS or Satellite and you may like it.