Enigmatic: Calling review by Pagan's Mind

• Released: Apr 18, 2005
Pagan's Mind: Enigmatic: Calling

I've always like Pagan's Mind's music. It has that progressive metal feel to it. It's just not so over the top that you get confused and lost listening to it. There's lots of hooks and soaring melodies. Just the way it should be! I had searched far and wide for Enigmatic : Calling for several years after hearing a few songs online. At last I found it! The first thing that I really took notice of is the beautiful album artwork by vocalist Nils K. Rue. Aside from a singer, his talent as a professional graphics designer is crystal clear. The first few songs on the album are mostly guitar driven. While Ronny Tegner's keyboard work really shines on the last half of the CD. In my opinion, the guitar work (and songwriting in general) on this album are Pagan's Mind's best. The only song I didn't like on this CD is "Celestial Calling". It just could not hold my interest like the others. The songs have very powerful, intense rhythms although many songs have jazzy, relaxing breaks. It really makes you feel like you're flying through space. Combine that with stellar vocals and totally insane guitar solos! Jorn Lofstad's guitar tone is also amazing!

The lyrics are mostly based on the theories of Erich Von Daniken. Being a fan of "Chariots of the Gods?" This peaked my interest in the album even more. Sadly, the lyrics just are not Pagan's Mind's strength. They are not bad, but they lack direction. For example, the song Taken seems to imply alien abduction. Then the song goes on to talk about humans being put on Earth by aliens. After that it just is a bunch of what eventually starts to sound like a bunch of random spacey terms thrown around that don't make any sense. This is the problem with the lyrics on most of the songs. You can figure out usually what the topic is, but not where it's going. Some songs like "Entrance To Infinity" are about portals through the universe. Not really a story. The vocals are good. I wouldn't say Nils is a totally amazing singer but he certainly is impressive. I especially like the great use vocal harmonies. His voice sounds really cool harmonized. It's hard to explain but it's just different from other singers somehow...

Musically this is an amazing metal album. It has progressive elements but it dosen't go crazy with it like so many bands do. That's what I like the most about Pagan's Mind. The best songs are Entrance To Infinity, Enigmatic Mission, Coming Home and Resurrection Back In Time. I strongly believe this to be the band's best CD to date and it came out in 2005. If you love hard rock and heavy metal music as well as science fiction and space. You won't want to miss this.

EpiExplorer
    Very much like a more straight forward Symphony X. Seriously, they have exactly the same rythm guitar tone. But yes, I'm definitly getting this album now.. Symphony X are taking their sweet time with this new thingy they're releasing. Very nice stuff, the drums sound robotic because of the snare sound, but its pretty damn good.
    Dream Floyd
    Well paradise lost took 5 years so... who knows...
    EpiExplorer
    Dream Floyd wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Very much like a more straight forward Symphony X. Seriously, they have exactly the same rythm guitar tone. But yes, I'm definitly getting this album now.. Symphony X are taking their sweet time with this new thingy they're releasing. Well paradise lost took 5 years so... who knows...
    I know, but their website said 'a 2010 release'.
    guitarsftw
    I tried to get into this band, but I couldn't. Just a bit, I don't know, typical maybe.