No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded review by Page & Plant

• Released: Nov 8, 1994
Page & Plant: No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded

This half-studio/half-live album's 10th anniversary recaptures the epic 1994 reunion of Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Playing a litany of Zeppelin standards, as well as 4 new tracks, you get a for the album. This album deals with all sorts of musical genres: blues, folk rock, hard rock, ballads, Middle Eastern styles, and much more. The sound truly captures the beauty of Plant's vocals and Page's guitar stylings, along with a rather large backup band, and an orchestra or two.

The lyrics, as with most Zeppelin songs, are stunning and would probably cause someone not accustomed to Zeppelin to fall out of their chairs. The music of course backs up Plant's softness/intensity in the songs, one good example is "The Rain Song." And, we all know Plant's ability to sing, well it's not as good anymore, but not anything significant, especially due to his age.

Definately one of the best albums of 2004, capturing a kind of music lost to the current generation. This album does wonders with song variety too. 01. Nobody's Fault - bluesy, good banjo-style riff. 02. No Quarter - dark, mysterious, captivating. 03. Friends - 50 second orcestra opening, awesome guitar intro, good show of Plant's singing. 04. The Truth Explodes - formerly "Yallah," Middle Eastern hard rock, definate stand out. 05. The Rain Song - beautiful, captures both sides of Page and Plant. 06. City Don't Cry - slower Middle Eastern style, not as great as others. 07. Since I've Been Loving You - pure awesome blues, beats any other version. 08. The Battle Of Evermore - Page plays a mean mandolin to open this, with Plant doing some good vocals. 09. Wonderful One - wonderful ballad, true love song, definate stad out. 10. Wah Wah - cool Middle Eastern jam song. 11. That's The Way - perhaps the only version of this song I like, acoustic and saddening. 12. Gallows Pole - folk rock, that progresses to harder rock, with Plant really getting into it. 13. Four Sticks - hardish rock, cool on acoustic. 14. Kashmir - starts out traditionally Middle Eastern, then the "Kashmir" we love and know, the into a "Black Dog" piece, and finishes in an orchestra finish. I would definately get this again, however, I know that "What Is And What Should Never Be," "When The Levee Breaks," and "Thank You" (plus maybe more) were also recorded in these sessions, and this could have been a double album.

SWLABR
    I thought that lady was nowhere near as good a Sandy Denny from the original version
    Robert I.
    bought the DVD on a whim, simply because it said "No Quarter" and that's my favourite LZ song... absolutely fantastic!
    bonoisawanker
    meh it was cool but i liked song remains the same version of no quarter better they took out the riff so blah
    BlueOyster23
    Ummm...UG, I meant to do one on the tenth anniversary addition, my mistake. The anniversary has 14 tracks, and was released in 2004, but the picture is right.
    Tulkas
    Get the DVD.....it's really good. There's an Indian lady that accompanies on the Battle of Evermore that made that version of the song my favorite.
    scottishmob
    paintITblack39 wrote: best album of 2004? It came out in 1994 according to the release date.
    It was a ten year anniversary reissue.
    Rayien_Acc
    I bought the CD, and personally I like it. Any Zep fan or anyone who enjoys Early 70's Rock. Really good treat.
    aryowisnuwardha
    They certainly has to make a 20th Anniversary issue next year. It's an album that definitely has to be have.