One Hour By The Concrete Lake review by Pain of Salvation

• Released: Jan 1, 1998
Pain of Salvation: One Hour By The Concrete Lake

"One Hour By The Concrete Lake" is perhaps the heaviest and darkest album of this amazing band. One Hour by the Concrete Lake was first released by Avalon Records in Japan in July 1998. It was later released in Europe in January 1999 on InsideOut, in the USA in November 1999 on InsideOut America and in South America in November 1999 on Hellion. It is a concept album focusing on the issues of nuclear power and waste, displacement of indigenous peoples, the firearm industry, and human discovery.

Gildenlow`s work made each lyric and song to be in an appropiate way of listening. The Lyrics are genius thats why I will analyze each one. 01.Spirit Of The Land: Its a short into which startes with a piano melody. 02.Inside: This song has a great pano intro which is followed by an opening lead guitar. This songs talks about a man that feels manipulated by the industry in general 03.The Big Machine: This song starts with a catchy riff and has a chorus about the descontrol of the machinery that was usen at factories. 04.New Year`s Eve: Its an amazing song with a strog bass intro and a catchy lead. 05.Handful Of Nothing: It has a silent beggining which later turns into a heavy plucking and is accompanied with many strong riffs. 06.Water: Its a slow song which has many changes of rhythm and a great solo at the middle of the song. 07.Home: A strange song that has many changes of rhythm and a great chorus. 08.Black Hills: For me is Darkest song of the album which represents the black hills that are in North America and Lake Karachay in the former USSR. 09.Pilgrim: Short song that is mainly played with an acoustic guitar and has many sad melodies and lyrics. 10.Shore Serenity: dark song which has many voices at the same time talking about how the machines pollute. 11.Inside Out: This is the longest song of the album, it talks about how a man can be free of himself and is fighting to get outside of a concrete lake. 12.Beyond The Mirror[southamerican bonus track]: This last song talks about how someone feels about himself and is affraid of what he can find in the mirror.

This in an outstanding album and could diserve a 10 but lacks of concept and imagination which other Pain of Salvation albums has. "Inside" and "New Year`s Eve" are outstanding songs. I think some songs are very repetitive but still worth hearing. I highly recommend it!

travislausch
    Garlop
    thanks for commenting, perhaps this is my first review I still have my doubts about this album, thats why I tried to do my effort
    cotton3434
    travislausch wrote: Actually, "Inside Out" is about how, to realize the immorality of what "the machine" does, one only need stand for an hour by "the concrete lake" which is in fact the aforementioned Lake Karachay, which is the most polluted spot on the planet. So polluted with radioactive waste, in fact, that one hour by it is enough to administer a lethal dose of radiation. This album has a stronger concept than, say, Entropia or Scarsick, and is easier to follow than "BE", while still being intelligent enough to have been used as source material for that album. I guess the only way someone is going to get it right is if I write my own review...
    Go for it. Please. And pray that it makes front page on UG, because for God's sake, this band needs to be heard.
    Garlop wrote: This in an outstanding album and could diserve a 10 but lacks of concept and imagination which other Pain of Salvation albums has.
    I'd say it has a stronger concept than most PoS albums, with the obvious exception of BE. "Inside," "Inside Out," and especially (because I'm biased and love the Native American theme of the song) "Black Hills" are incredible. Also, to anyone who has difficulty with the concept of this album (or any concept album) search for it on Wikipedia. Not the best solution for figuring out concept albums, but it often works.
    cotton3434
    Upon rereading the review... yeah, you didn't get much of any of the album's concept right, no offense. At least you tried though; PoS isn't exactly the easiest music to follow.
    Garlop
    I agree with you, this band is difficult to understand but someone got to do a review of this album