Amongst The Flock review by Palehorse

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Palehorse: Amongst The Flock

Although I've always been a huge proponent of innovation and experimentation in music, there's something to be said for taking a proven musical recipe and delivering it with great intensity and emotion. Bridge Nine's Palehorse appear to thoroughly understand this idea, as their latest release, "Amongst The Flock", excels in capturing the intensity and emotion of a live show on recording. Palehorse's musical formula relies heavily on the sound of mid-90's hardcore pioneers Integrity and Hatebreed, with a little bit of thrash thrown in to keep the record moving at a driving pace. "Amongst The Flock" is a true crossover record, displaying large amounts of double bass work and metal riffing, as well as a few moments of impressive lead guitar work over the course of the disc.

Vinny Calandra's raspy vocals never fail to match the intensity of the instrumentation, as his politically charged lyrics paint a bleak portrait of the current state of society. I've always been one to be a little skeptical of the authenticity of hardcore lyrics, but when Calandra delivers lines like "We are a disease / We devour as we please / Neglected morality / We're all f--king doomed," it's difficult not to feel the absolute disdain in his voice. For those who like their hardcore pissed off, Palehorse is quite the goldmine.

For a band that's been around since 2003, it's surprising that these guys aren't well known by now, but bottom line: "Amongst The Flock" is a great example of an excellent metallic hardcore record that surpasses the rest of the pack in terms of its emotion and intensity. Fans of mid-90's crossover acts and those who simply enjoy their hardcore fast, angry, and heavy should take note of Palehorse. The album is a fast and heavy repulsion of frustration and anxiety, uncovering secrets of all kind such as conspiracy, politics, and religion. Definitely something I would recommend anyone to listen to.

YouTube preview picture