Outcasts review by Palisades

• Released: May 20, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Palisades: Outcasts

Palisades, who is this band that we speak of? Arguably, they are post-hardcore, but in my mind, this is like another I See Stars, whom, I think most call electronicore. Starting out their first full-length album on Rise Records, Palisades seem to be new to the genre, and new to the music world in general. With guest vocals from the likes of Tyler Carter, Andy Leo, and Chris Roetter, you can already guess that this is just another rise-core band. Guest vocals are good if they are done right, but in this care, it almost seems a bit like they were just trying to get their name out there. And certainly it worked. But I still wonder, what makes bands like these classified under the post-hardcore category? Is it the screamed vocals? The downtuned guitars? The chugs? The breakdowns? How about the synths? Or even overly produced singing? I'm always wondering where Rise and Fearless Records are getting these bands from. Either way, I haven't seen many changes on these labels in quite some time. Aside from a decent pop-punk band. But what I really want to know is how did these guys get signed? Was it the overpowering sequencers that made Rise interested? I will never know, but these guys are very generic, boring, and lacking of real emotion.

The lyrics section did not come to much of a surprise. I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking, and surely there was nothing. "I never seem to catch me right before I hit the floor I never seem to get me, and I'm coming back for more I can't get it right, self medicated Dive down the bottle of the substance I've created Bag of excuses, and I feel useless Do you know how it feels to be hollowed out? Cause I'm drowning, just to catch my breath I'm drowning till there's nothing left, There's nothing left, and I'm about to drown here Do you hear me yet? Drowning, just to catch my breath." This is from "Your Disease." I found that most of the lyrics on this album were quite basic. And from "High and Low", "Won't you take Me away to a better place Where my hearts Skips a beat When I see your face So take me, take me And rearrange me Got me feeling high and low So won't you take me, take me And rearrange me Got me feeling high and low So take me away." I do think that there are some good lyrics that stood out to me, though. From "A.I.", "So I took my time, started slow Carefully removing Appendages, all the parts that broke And I was willfully replacing them with metal parts Cause it's easier without a heart And with iron lungs, I can breath after all the deeds you've done." While, it's not necessarily great lines, it's not bad.

To sum things up, Palisades is just not my cup of tea. They particularly sound like a band that will mainly only fit in to a fanbase that loves other Rise Records bands, or one who frequently enjoys synthesizers and sequencers throughout the songs. As I mentioned about, this is very similar to I See Stars, but I also think this is quite similar to Breathe Carolina's approach. Tyler Carter's vocals also seem quite similar to the Louis' of this band. Overall, I don't know how far this band will go, but for now, I'm uninterested.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

the chalky one
    Not bad, you can kinda tell this is their first album, but overall not terrible. I've heard a lot worse. Nice review too.