A Fever You Can't Sweat Out review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Sep 27, 2005
Panic! At the Disco: A Fever You Can't Sweat Out

The unique sound of Panic! At the Disco amalgamates up-beat techno with fast paced punk. This combination could be fatal if not mixed just the right way. The lead vocalist, you will often hear, sounds quite similar to that of the band 'Fall Out Boy', but that you will find is the only similarity between the two bands. P!ATD has a very unique sound despite the vocal similarity to FOB. The lyrics are given in perfect harmony with the drum and bass machines, as well as the electronic sounds. P!ATD is really like nothing you've ever heard before.

Finally lyrics that deserve the beautiful voice sung by them. After hearing Fall Out Boy I couldn't help but ask for more. More depth, more innovation, and maybe a risk or two. P!ATD is where you'll find it. After noticing the obvious similiarities in the vocals of FOB and P!ATD, P!ATD wasn't FOB reborn, but I believe that the creativity of P!ATD's album, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, out weighs FOB and P!ATD deserves ample praise for taking a risk and becoming a much better band than FOB ever has been. The story in "Build God, Than We'll Talk" about sex, prostitution, and corruption of the judicial system and the law, unfolds suprisingly well. The lead vocalist, Brandon Urie, repeating towards the end of the song "Rain drops on roses, and girls in white dresses, and sleeping with roaches" is fitting for the depressing theme manifested throughout the tragic tune. This song is well placed, on the second half of the album which is put together along with four other songs, replete with acoustics, violins, and cello's, but not overdone. The first half is done with the techno beats and much faster vocals. Overall the entire is a masterpiece whether its Urie wailing "When I say shot gun, you say wedding" in the first half or "What a wonderful caricature of intimacy" in the second half, the album doesn't disappoint.

The album isn't some monumental standpoint, but nonetheless it is a great album. The song that I believe will become very popular, very quickly will be "The Only Difference Between Martydom And Suicide Is Press Coverage." It's up beat acoustic guitar and some of the catchiest lyrics I've ever heard will no doubt give this song extensive radio play, as long as DJ's can get over the fact that Urie, the lead vocalist, and Pete Wentz sound almost exactly the same. The lyrics for "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" I feel will also reach a lot of those depressed, heart broken kids out there. With Urie screaming "Testosterone boys and harlequin girls, will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close" how can you resist? If ever lost my P!ATD, I'd probably have to go through the trouble of downloading some more, which is no trouble at all. This album may not be a monumental standpoint for emo/punk artists everywhere, but it is definitely worth the twenty minutes it takes to download the entire cd off of Lime Wire. I'm not advertising piracy here, I can honestly say that if this cd were not on Lime Wire I could definetly shell out the fifteen bucks for it. So do yourself a favor and get a Person to Person file sharing program or get a job and by this cd, you won't be disappointed.