A Fever You Can't Sweat Out review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Sep 27, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Panic! At the Disco: A Fever You Can't Sweat Out

Their sound is not unlike any other emo band out there today. They, however, are the worst. The only band they are better than that I can think of off the top of my head is Relient K. I compare those two because both lead singers have terrible annoying whiny voices. None of the musicians in the band are very talented and the music is very simple and fairly catchy.

In my opinion, whoever wrote the songs sort of let the lyrics go, meaning that they know they have a cliche sound that will get stuck in your head easily whether the lyrics are good or not. And that frankly is unacceptable in the world of music because your lyrics have to at least make sense in order to attract major attention. Another reason they let the lyrics go is because their name is "Panic! At The Disco" which I hate to say is a very cool name. And the only reason people say they are fans of them is cause they think it sounds cool.

One thing I would like to state is that some critic with his head up his ass compared this group to Depeche Mode and The Killers. Just because they have the word disco in their name shouldn't compare them to the likes of Depeche Mode. This is a terrible album. If someone stole it from me, I would dance with joy. And if no one stole it or would take it for free, I would pay them to get it away from me. Panic! At The Disco is a cool name but won't get them anywhere musically.

Stevie B
    the dudes got an annoying voice and they dont really have a lot of talent. i liked i write sins not tragedies but the fact that the chorus is repeated so many times just made it annoying and in turn made the whole album sound annoying. only good for fans of fall out boy.
    mullenmetal
    kajtuch
    people! chill out. "it's only rock'n'roll" maybe panic! at the discos' songs are not virtuosicly played, maybe their lyrics are not too "deep" but who cares! it's 16 tons of pure fun! ease your pants! from poland with love! take care.
    sangnoir
    i liked the album... seriously guys, if you're a fan of metal or whatever, you're not going to like them. just like if you're not a fan of pop-punk, cabaret or emo voices, you're not going to like them. but their lyrics arent emo as in 'oh woe is me my life sucks' its not like that at all if you dont like them, stop dissing them and go back to ur own genre of music leave them and their fans alone
    ironman316
    muzz666 wrote: Is it just me that thinks that Panic! At The Disco sound nothing like Fallout Boy? Also, Panic! aren't anything like emo. People should really stop throwing the word 'emo' at every band that comes out these days. I find Panic! pretty catchy and they have some really good songs in my opinion.
    as a band, they aren't too much like fall out boy. but when i first heard "the only difference between martyrdom..." i could have sworn it was pat singing. but then after searching the net for panic info, i was proven wrong. thats the only song brendan really sounds like pat. but thats it. overall, i like the cd. i'm a mixed genre person, mostly liking metal/hardcore stuff but i like FOB and PATD. it's good stuff. sometimes metal is just too heavy and you need something to calm down to. i just rambled my brains out. never again.
    muzz666
    LadyPenelope
    I love this band : they are one of the only bands out there atm that i like which are not remotely depressing, while there's still enough meaning in the lyrics for them not to be cheesy. They cheer me up a lot so now i'm rather addicted :-D and i'm going to see them at leeds :
    tomwm1
    doesnt sound emo not as good as FOB i write sins not tradgedies is best dnt sound like joy division at all
    ShrimpthePimp
    This is a awesome cd, and it's not really that emo. And I wouldnt call there voice original since its VERY similar to Fall Out Boys singing.
    Modernmusich8er
    mullenmetal wrote: Harris_in_a_Jar : ok. im new to this whole posting deal, but id like to start by making a bunch of you guys mad by saying that Panic! at the Disco is really a great band. think with an open mind. yes, the lyrics do repeat alot, but theyre awesome musicians. its not very often that a band will use accordians, mandolins, etc... in their debut album. that alone is admirable. but then again, you all are entitled to your own opinion and im entitled to mine. what u talkin about they don't play those instruments and u if they were talented they would actually play their instrunments
    anyone can use a mandolin or violin, it's not that big of a deal. It's actually a gimmick to hide their terrible musicianship.
    Harris_in_a_Jar
    mullenmetal : what u talkin about they don't play those instruments and u if they were talented they would actually play their instrunments i think it would be wise of you to actually read what i wrote. i said "use" those instruments. and it really doesnt matter if they dont play those instruments because its something different. let me ask you if you can name another band that has their sound? perhaps you should think with an open mind? i think its a bit hypocritical when people condemn a band for being different, and they say that being different is a good thing. just putting that out there.
    mullenmetal
    i think if these guys concetrated more on the instruments instead of electronic nonsense they would be amazing neway some catchy songs but the techno and classical stuff why oh why this is not a gr8 it wood be if it was'nt for that techno stuff
    imburningstar4
    ok uh...i was reading these DO NOT EVER COMPARE PANIC AT THE DISCO TO MODEST MOUSE! modest mouse is thought provoking music from the heart from people who dont sell out...panic at the disco is the exact opposite. panic at the disco=fallout boy with different clothes on.
    Harris_in_a_Jar
    regrets&romance
    alright first of all for all you ignorant fools who think they sound like fall out boy, go listen to their whole album and compare, although the lead singers voice yes does soundlike fall out boys vocalist that is the only thing they have in common, when was the last time fall out boy used a piano, or had some techno in their songs, im not a big fan of either of these bands but i hate ignorance, mockery and ignorance go hand in hand, so stop copying what everyone else says and think for yourself.
    sunofpearl2100
    it is getting damn near impossible to become original Very true with some bands. I think Panic does sound like FOB, but there are some original bands i.e. Coheed and Cambria (NOT Rush inspired), Funeral for a Friend, and Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave.
    HH_Emo_666
    panic! at the disco sucks because none of their songs make any friggen sense at all and they`re just a poser band and the only reason why people like them is that all the 14-16 year old girls like em
    thishollowhill
    Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco, sound like Joy Divison at times
    Are you moronic? I don't see the similarities at all. Joy divison was not emo, pop punk. Sorry.
    H_Zula
    Let's just get this out in the open now, it is getting damn near impossible to become original, everyone has an influence that they mimic. Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco, sound like Joy Divison at times, granted there is a different beat. Just wait, cause when everyone starts getting on bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Soilwork, and other metal bands they will claim that they sound un-orginal, but in reality it's not about being original, it's all about the expression. This is Art, this is how it works, and I may seem like I'm just babbling, but if you try to read this with your mind open, then it will make sense.
    )Eric(Draven
    shotgunjoe wrote: THEY SUCK. EMO POP SHIT.
    You know, you can express your opinion without sounding like a complete jackass: I can see why people would like this record. I've only heard a few songs off of it but since those few songs sound pretty much exactly the same I think I've got the jist of the album. I don't like this band because, like I just said, most/all of their songs sound the same. This morning I saw the video for whatever song they have and in the video theres a wedding and he's like "I chime in, haven't you people ever heard of closing the godamn door." I had heard "The Only Difference" 3 times before, but forgot the name of the song. I thought the video was for that song, that's how alike the songs sound. Their vocalist, although very similar in tone to Fall out Boy's, has much more intricate melody, which is very catchy. In my opinion, these intricate melodies are pretty much the only thing attractive about Panic! At the Disco. The music is simple, and I recognize that there can be simple, and GOOD music, but this simple is pretty mediocre, it's unoriginal, it's boring. The music is also poppy, and again, I recognize there can be a good, catchy poppy, but this is sold out, boring, catchy poppy. I went back and relistened to "The Only Difference" and I like the techno thing in the middle of it. I think if they stuck to that kind of "The Faint"-ish sound, they might be a little more appealing. So pretty much they only thing they've got going for them is a relatively decent vocalist with nice melody, and a(n almost wasted) potential to be a better electronic band.
    cmart227
    basically i listen to that type of music on occasion, and i thought total crap when i heard it, and a better name for them would probably be Fallout Boy Revised
    jaeh?
    panic at the disco=fallout boy with different clothes on.
    Nicely Done.
    Tanman_88
    Thank you shotgunjoe! I could say that they're a bunch of phonies, who's ripping off fallout boy, but it would contradict my saying "Its impossible to come up with something original" Instead I will say... Its nothing I havent heard. No surprises here. Clearly, they are all talented musicians. Its a shame they couldnt use those talents to produce a better genre of music. The writing is crappy... The drummer knows whats goin on. The bassist has it. The GUitarist is nothing special. I've heard more dynamic rythm from garth brooks.....
    KsE60
    All the songs i heard on this album are great, emo or not. The musicianship is great and can only get better from them. I'm hoping to hear more.
    punk8080@aol.co
    THE THEATRICAL AND DRAMATICAL BREAK OUT RECORD AFEVER U CANT SWEAT OUT BY URES TRULY PANIC AT THE DISCO BRINGS YOU CATCHY SONG TITLES INCREDIBLE LYRICS AND GREAT MUSICIANSHIP THIS EMO QUARTET FOR ME HAS A CHANCE TO HEADLINE THE WARPED TOUR