Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

Panic At The Disco have changed a lot since their debut album, 2005's 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out'. Dropping The exclamation point, and more importantly their dance and electronic influences, They've opted for a more classic rock influences, borrowing from the likes of the Beatles with potentially disastrous results. Fortunately, though the whole album sounds like a completely new band, It remains familiar enough to please old fans, while allowing more conservative people to enjoy it. It's still the same Panic.

Lyricist Ryan Ross maintains the brilliance of 'A fever you can't sweat out', Though as well as the music, his lyrics have change a fair bit. While 'A fever you can't sweat out' used lyrical themes such as Adultery, Prostitution and Religion, 'Pretty. Odd.'s lyrics are not so confronting. The lyrics fit the music well, but are sometimes overshadowed by numerous dubs, such as strings, horns etc. Though Brendon Urie is a great singer, some of the high points, vocal-wise, are when guitarist Ryan Ross is singing. In 'Mad as Rabbits' Ryan and Brendon's voices suit each other perfectly, and create a sound that can only be described as amazing.

Though the first track, 'We're so starving', states "You don't have to worry 'cause we're still the same band", This is not completely true. While Panic is Panic, and They are still instantly recognisable to fans of 'A fever you can't sweat out', The songs are no longer dance orientated and more traditional, with strings, horns and mandolins appearing often. I would list the impressive songs from this album, but a track list would be easier. There isn't really anything I dislike about Pretty. Odd., save for the fact that, as a guitarist, it is a little disappointing to hear Ryan's brilliant and sometimes quite complex guitar work overpowered amongst the strings etc. Though I have downloaded the album, it is only temporary until I can afford to buy it. If I were to lose the album, I'd buy another without question.