Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

The sound on this album pretty much varies from song to song, going from 1920s style on "I have friends in holy places" to folk on the aptly named "folking around", to something that sounds like it's stepped out of the 1500s with "she had the world." Each song uses different styles, and often will have different influences from different eras. "Nine in the Afternoon" Is obviously based on the beatles, judging from the music video, also the use of brass. Also with this album, there is little notice taken of normal chord structure, except perhaps acoustic slow song "Northern Downpour" Overall, this album has an incredibly varied sound, it contrasts greatly with a fever you can't sweat, and each song is different.

Lyrically, the name of the album is fitting. Pretty odd. It is. Personally, I think there is an underlying influence of Lewis Carolls "Alice in Wonderland". Possibly. The lyrics, individually, tell a story, but the whole album doesn't. The two songs that Brendon Urie wrote, are more commercial lyrically, written about love and things like that, but with a sound that isn't commercial. Ryan Ross, however, uses words, phrases, and themes not often used. Also written about a varied amount of subjects, these aren't really the kind of lyrics you can easily relate to, unless you understand a deeper meaning, and often there isn't one, but somehow, it fits, and it works.

Personally, this is one of the best albums I've heard in a while. I prefer it much more to a fever you can't sweat out, and is much better than a lot of albums I've bought recently. Songs that stand out for me are Pas de Cheval and Mad as Rabbits, but I like all of them really. The one that stands out least is The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know. What I love about the album is that it has dared to break the rules, and although a lot of panic fan won't like it, a lot will, and I feel they will gain more fans. I don't hate anything, it's all good really. I recommend it to anyone getting bored of modern music and losing faith in progress.