Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 25, 2008
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.9 (344 votes)
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.
0

Sound — 8
Panic changed their sound a lot for this CD. If you listen to the CD you will see what I mean. But it might be a good thing. They certainly did the unpredictable with making a Beatles-like album. I respect them for that. But I do think that they have to be a little bit more of themselves. I think they used the Beatles as too much of an inspiration. It sounds too much like the Beatles. But saying all of this, I am not saying it's a bad album. In fact, I think it is really good. Any fan that can accept a little bit of change will like most songs on this album if not the whole thing.

Lyrics — 8
I think that the lyrics of this album were very good but a bit inconsistant. No one please bash the lyrics on 'We're So Starving' because it is a joke. But there are some amazing lyrics on this album and some not-so-amazing lyrics. The lyrics on 'Northern Downpour' blew me away but the lyrics in 'Mad As Rabbits' didn't necessarily do so. Nine In The Afternoon's didn't blow me away either.

Overall Impression — 9
Overall, I think that this is a really good album. It kind-of sounds like a modern day Beatles but with a little Panic twist. My favorite songs on the album so far are 'She's A Handsome Woman,' 'Pas De Cheval,' and 'That Green Gentleman.' These songs blew me away musically and lyrically. I love tha this album offers a little bit of everything. I don't like how it's too closely related to te Beatles. I think we need a mix of the two styles, (albums) next.

107 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Auals
    This album surprised me, for what it is, it's a good album. And I like their... subtleties. The fact that instead of just saying "We're all too smart to talk to God" they have small repeated by the backing vocalist confusing what's being said. I liked it. It's different to A Fever which I liked as well.
    duncang
    Bet none of the people whining on these comments have actually listened to the whole album
    shyalicia
    I love this album! I've listened through the whole thing at least 10 times. Each song takes you to a different setting and makes you feel good. I feel Panic did their absolute best on this.
    redhotsexmagic
    i liked the first album a lot..kind of more so when i saw them play live at lolla in '06 and they were probably the most entertaining band there. I like this album too..its almost like every song is from a different genre and it keeps it interesting to listen to
    stradivari310
    I thought it was fantastic.
    Whoabot wrote: More like "Pretty. Gay." AMIRITE LOL
    Seriously, don't you have better insults than that? Keep it to yourself.
    omarrodrigez
    SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad.
    They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson.
    duncang
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson. Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah. I was just claiming those bands make panic look like nothing more than a couple of 14 year olds who cannot play their instruments, not that I'm cool because I listen to them. But it's so ridiculous to compare a band like Meshuggah to a band like Panic that the only reason you would name drop like that would be to make yourself look cool. My point was when there are bands like Meshuggah out there, they make them look like total shit. Stop being so immature and hostile, you're just looking for an argument.
    Well I could say that Hawthorne Heights make them look like total shit. It's completely irrelevant.
    omarrodrigez
    duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson. Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah. I was just claiming those bands make panic look like nothing more than a couple of 14 year olds who cannot play their instruments, not that I'm cool because I listen to them. But it's so ridiculous to compare a band like Meshuggah to a band like Panic that the only reason you would name drop like that would be to make yourself look cool.
    My point was when there are bands like Meshuggah out there, they make them look like total shit. Stop being so immature and hostile, you're just looking for an argument.
    duncang
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson. Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah. I was just claiming those bands make panic look like nothing more than a couple of 14 year olds who cannot play their instruments, not that I'm cool because I listen to them.
    But it's so ridiculous to compare a band like Meshuggah to a band like Panic that the only reason you would name drop like that would be to make yourself look cool.
    omarrodrigez
    duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson. Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah.
    I was just claiming those bands make panic look like nothing more than a couple of 14 year olds who cannot play their instruments, not that I'm cool because I listen to them.
    lilscooter11
    bonus card wrote: this album is just so boring! it completely rips off the beatles to an extent that its just unbelievable and the band appears to have lost the passion that once appeared to be in the music.
    Spot on. It was bad enough when I first heard Nine in the Afternoon, and thought it sounded like a poor Beatles clone, but then I saw the video and it just said to me that they were trying too much to emulate The Beatles. At least their old stuff was catchy and had a direction to it, I wouldn't skip it on my ipod if it did come on, however I'm 2+ years older now and probably wouldn't listen to them ever again. Cheeky Rip-off Merchants...
    M.O.P
    The new album album I like more than the old one (which I don't like much). And they don't really fit in with the genres UG Team said they are. They are more alternative rock now.
    duncang
    omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson.
    Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah. Also, Panic At The Disco have NEVER been an emo band. They've ALWAYS been an experimental pop band.
    its_sublime07
    first of all, i'm with fifi. why is this on a guitar website if the guitar and/or bass is pretty bad, and extremely repetitive. Secondly, their new album and video SCREAM sgt. peppers at me. which sucks because sgt. peppers is a GOOD album. It's like they're trying to take the beatles to the next level, but are in reality regressing. If you want to hear some pop music reminiscent of the beatles, but actually good and not just a ripoff, listen to Of Montreal. Other than that, Panic is the new F.O.B.
    bonus card
    this album is just so boring! it completely rips off the beatles to an extent that its just unbelievable and the band appears to have lost the passion that once appeared to be in the music. the album doesnt progress or develop rather it plods along clutching at the classic sounds they can only hope of emulating. the lyrics still make no to little sense in the majority of places but now they arent covered by that infectious dance/synth sound that made the music interesting. my two cents....
    ontherun
    Ryan Ross is a great lyricist. His lyrics are both simple and clever. Some of these lyrics can be seen in Do You Know What I am Seeing?: Clouds are marching along, singing a song, just like they do./If the clouds were singing a song, I'd sing along, wouldn't you too? /If you just knew what they could do./Oh, if you just knew, what would they do? Another example of these lyrics can be seen in Behind The Sea: The men all played along/To marching drums/And boy did they have fun/Behind the sea/They sang (hey! )/So our matching legs/Are marching clocks/And we're all too small/To talk to God/Yes, we're all too smart/To talk to God.
    I can't see how either of those examples make this guy a great lyricist... Perhaps if he was in 4th grade remedial English he'd be at the top of his class, but I assume he's not so... it seems my dog's most recent turds have more substantial lyrics than this guy has ever dreamed of...
    ss311
    There are a lot of nasty comments here; sure, Panic at the Disco may not be to your tastes (the band certainly doesn't match mine), but that does entitle us to flame the musicians who comprise Panic at the Disco. The UG review was well done.
    SchitzoJoe
    Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad.
    duncang
    omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music.
    And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really.
    guitarist41
    Also, people. Don't refuse to listen to this album simply because their last album sucked(IMO). More good music = More good music!
    guitarist41
    As much as I would like to, I'm not going to give it a 1 just to drag down it's user rating, since I have not actually heard the album. This band made my life a misery back in 2006. lol I like that the top review compares it to David Bowie and The Beach Boys, they're both great[NOTE: The Beatles are the most overrated band of all time]. Maybe this album will actually be alright.
    CFlydn9
    Meh, I saw the "Nine in the Afternoon" video, and couldn't help but think "That sounds and looks an awful lot like the Beatles. Not saying it's a good thing, or bad. Just Meh.
    lazlow325i
    i love how everyone who's bashing panic haven't heard one song off this great CD.
    Whoabot
    stradivari310 wrote: I thought it was fantastic. Whoabot wrote: More like "Pretty. Gay." AMIRITE LOL Seriously, don't you have better insults than that? Keep it to yourself.
    Why waste my talents when I can put the album down so succinctly? Baw elsewhere, friend.
    diablomastabarb wrote: stradivari310 wrote: I thought it was fantastic. Whoabot wrote: More like "Pretty. Gay." AMIRITE LOL Seriously, don't you have better insults than that? Keep it to yourself. I'm with you Whoabot.
    Cheers
    JoNnHannah
    Fatally Jon wrote: rx_eb wrote: Pretty Odd. Pretty Queer. Pretty Gay Wow, that was Pretty.Lame. Probably took you Pretty.Long to come up with that one. Bet you're Pretty.Pleased with your Pretty.Sophisticated sense of humor.
    i just lol'd my ass off.
    Alexishxc1337
    omarrodrigez wrote: They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson.
    They aren't even in the same genre, so you can't compare.
    Dallen_007
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really. haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature.
    Just because he doesn't like a band you do doesn't make him "musically ignorant." He doesn't have to like Meshuggah, and why even compare them to Panic? There is no comparison, they are completely different. Stop dissing Panic as well, they are good at what they do, making nice pop rock. It's nothing amazing, but it's not bad either. Good album too, even if they put a little too much Beatles.
    omarrodrigez
    duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really.
    haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature.
    omarrodrigez
    duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really. haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature. Uuuh... I don't even know how to respond to this. I have a friend, who doesn't know anything about music. He doesn't know what a time signature is, what a key is, anything. He still loves Meshuggah. Your argument is just completely and utterly wrong. Someone with no understanding of music whatsoever can love Meshuggah just as much as someone with the highest qualifications available can hate them. Trust me on this one, though, saying that ANY band is not 'real music' is just ridiculously immature. haha whatever man, think what you like. And about the Meshuggah thing, I meant some people that have no knowledge in theory can't appreciate them on the same level of those of us who do. And so someone who isn't a huge fan of metal wouldn't like them if they didn't understand the underlying genius. Tons of people love them without knowing that genius and that's cool too. I don't listen to Meshuggah for the 'genius', or the complexity or whatever. I listen to them because they're the most ridiculously headbangable band on Earth, and I get the same effect listening to them as I do listening to Slayer, an incredibly simple band as far as music theory goes. Get off your high horse, man.
    Then we obviously enjoy music on different levels. Yes Meshuggah is ridiculously headbangable and heavy, which is awesome. But they're also stimulating to me on an intellectual level, which is why I enjoy them so much.
    belavista man
    I never liked Panic!... Their first album made me cringe so badly, but I heard their new single and it's aweful (though it's better than anything off their first album). I'll stick to the stuff I like, thanmks very much.
    The Black Salts
    Well Pogo I'm definitely a diehard metal fan, and even though this isn't music I'd listen to on a day to day basis, I can admit that after seeing one of their recorded live performances they write interesting and fun music, and are good performers. There's a lot of ''fun house'' styled song writing and I like that.
    pogostick
    hmm, all the reviews give it 8 or 9, but the users give it 4.7. methinks that there are some metal snobs on here rating an album they don't own just becuase they hate this genre of music. Jesus, grow up guys, don't rate it if you don't even have the album, just be a little more tolerant of people's taste. i like panic, as well as metallica, iron maiden, suicide machines, blood brothers, etc, just don't come here with your negitive ratings. P.S i know i'm like the 100th person to say this, but still
    lesbian_men
    is it really right to criticise someone's taste in music, or should we not just express our own opinions on the matter? Why brand something as shit, when there are obviously going to be other people who appreciate the fact that a band created some music which appeals to them.
    omarrodrigez Wrote :I meant some people that have no knowledge in theory can't appreciate them on the same level of those of us who do. And so someone who isn't a huge fan of metal wouldn't like them if they didn't understand the underlying genius. Tons of people love them without knowing that genius and that's cool too.
    and im sorry, but if we cannot appreciate the genius behind meshuggah because we dont understand the underlying genius, then can you honestly claim to understand the motivation behind 'Panics' music, and then if not, wouldnt that mean that you cannot appreciate Panic on the same level as others too...and if so, then why bother criticising. some people would enjoy Panic and some wouldnt...theres no need to criticise other peoples taste in what appeals to them
    omarrodrigez
    Henkdemachtige wrote: You are not making a point comparing 2 different bands to each other. If you hate PATD for having lack of creativity and stuff, thats fine, but dont say they suck because *insert band name* walks the world, thats just dumb.
    I was just saying when there are bands out there infinitely better, whether it's a poppy band or a metal band, it makes a band bad. Yes they lack creativity and decent playing skills, that's me main reason for disliking them. I was just saying other groups make them musically irrelevant. Sorry I didn't make my point clearer.
    shooshi123
    Henkdemachtige wrote: Yes, and if you dont like it, why do you waste time reading their reviews and posting here?
    Too true... All you haters should really get lives, i mean what is the point of reading a review for a band you blatantly don't like? Yes, you people have opinions and i think we're all clear of them. Personally i think its a great album, its really bold and its clear to see that they have progressed as musicians and as people shown in sound and lyrically.
    duncang
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really. haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature.
    Uuuh... I don't even know how to respond to this. I have a friend, who doesn't know anything about music. He doesn't know what a time signature is, what a key is, anything. He still loves Meshuggah. Your argument is just completely and utterly wrong. Someone with no understanding of music whatsoever can love Meshuggah just as much as someone with the highest qualifications available can hate them. Trust me on this one, though, saying that ANY band is not 'real music' is just ridiculously immature.
    ghostofhendrix
    SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad.
    its not that the music itself is bad, people just don't like their mainstream, conformative image, especially when there r truly talented bands out there with much less recognition purely because they stick to their morals and refuse to sell out.
    red157
    Henkdemachtige wrote: Yes, and if you dont like it, why do you waste time reading their reviews and posting here?
    Because this isn't their fan site, it's a review section. If more people could be arsed to write constructive reviews, their overall rating would be almost as low as their user rating.
    Henkdemachtige
    Henkdemachtige wrote: Ok what if is say youre a lose because Jimmy hendrix is better.
    Lose = Loser
    duncang
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really. haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature. Uuuh... I don't even know how to respond to this. I have a friend, who doesn't know anything about music. He doesn't know what a time signature is, what a key is, anything. He still loves Meshuggah. Your argument is just completely and utterly wrong. Someone with no understanding of music whatsoever can love Meshuggah just as much as someone with the highest qualifications available can hate them. Trust me on this one, though, saying that ANY band is not 'real music' is just ridiculously immature. haha whatever man, think what you like. And about the Meshuggah thing, I meant some people that have no knowledge in theory can't appreciate them on the same level of those of us who do. And so someone who isn't a huge fan of metal wouldn't like them if they didn't understand the underlying genius. Tons of people love them without knowing that genius and that's cool too.
    I don't listen to Meshuggah for the 'genius', or the complexity or whatever. I listen to them because they're the most ridiculously headbangable band on Earth, and I get the same effect listening to them as I do listening to Slayer, an incredibly simple band as far as music theory goes. Get off your high horse, man.
    Henkdemachtige
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez I'm just sick of people treating them like real music. And you called ME immature!? Also, it's not ignorant (the newest buzzword around here, may I add) to think that Meshuggah are bullshit. I see where they're coming from to. If you don't immediately like it from your gut then you do just see it as pointless chugging and that's totally understandable, really. haha man, you crack me up. Obviously someone with a poor understanding of music wouldn't like Meshuggah, therefore he's being ignorant. And yes, you are and continue to be immature.
    Ok what if is say youre a lose because Jimmy hendrix is better... You are not making a point comparing 2 different bands to each other. If you hate PATD for having lack of creativity and stuff, thats fine, but dont say they suck because *insert band name* walks the world, thats just dumb. Also, (this part is not written to omarrodrigez) Punk = easy 3 chord music, so if you say that its lack of creativity its not, it COULD be punk.
    jon3782001
    A very poor album, trying too hard to do a ''SGT Pepper'' as opposed to originality. It's certainly refreshing but the vocals are just awful. If they had a raw englishness to them it would be great!