Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

Going against the common opinion, I feel that this album contains some definitively innovative ideas and musical sounds. Noting their progression since 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' is something that would emphasize their development and maturity that led to them dropping their. And in terms of the development of the musics size and idea of dynamics is something that is drawn upon throughout the album; the progression from the grandeur of songs such as "The piano knows something I don't" and "Pas De Cheval" which contain an array of instruments, including brass instruments and piano, which replace the heavy synths that featured more upon 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out'. Their development has led them away from their synth roots, and has progressed into a more experimental sound that has been compared to the beatles, the beach boys etc. Their experimental nature is also expressed through the use of Ryan Ross (guitarist) not only in conjunction with Brendon Urie (Vocalist) but also having complete songs with Ross' vocals. Having his quite raw voice provides a pleasant counterpoint to Brendons more 'pop' vocal stylings.

I must say that people express their awe at Ryan Ross' lyrics, with their apparent quips and humorist nature. However, the lyrics seem overly abstract, almost to the point of ridiculous on certain tracks. The lyrics were the sole aspect of the album where I was disappointed, as the blatant criticisms of 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' have disappeared and instead been replaced with quirky lyrics of singing clouds and such alike. However, certain songs did invoke a slight smile, even if it was not Ross' intention ("It's the greatest thing that's yet to have happened/Imagine knowing me" Pas De Cheval) it's seeming arrogance seemed too much for my feeble mouth to contain.

Overall, the sound has progressed since 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' and the album is miles away from where many Panic fans expected, but an open mind can lead to an appreciation of some of the finer, catchyer songs on the album. The lyrics leave extensive room for various interpretations, and are often repetitive in their sometimes too abstract nature. Some fans will probably be disappointed, but with their progression away from their roots, Panic seem set to attract new fans as well. If it were lost, I would buy another copy, although it would not be as heavily used as other CDs, however, more so than 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out'.

SourceOfLife
    I don't believe in bad music or originality, music does different things for different people, and everything has pretty much been done before.
    Xerothunder
    I listened to the Panic album... I kind of like it. Interestingly, I kind of liked the first one too... but I don't REALLY like either one. Both are just... OK to me. See, intelligent people can make a review without making idiotic comparisons to Meshuggah.
    mypettreejimmy
    you guys are funny. 1. panic at the disco is not experimental, they are just another pop band trying to be innovative 2. name dropping is funny 3. who did the first 6 ratings? 4. face it, panic at the disco is trying too hard and shouldn't have abandoned their name and style ...now lets all sit around a plastic campfire and listen to some ska-revival...
    Aziraphale
    petrucci_owns86 wrote: Please don't speak anymore. Just because he has different views than you (which personally I agree with) doesn't mean that you have to get all over his case about it.
    Dude, I got pissed off at the thought that you're muscially illiterate if you don't think Meshuggah is the ultimate music, and that all other bands need to be Meshuggah in order to be relevant. That's just so dumb. And when I argument about something I back my case up, I don't just say "Fuck off n00b you know nothing about music" etc. My grudge wasn't that he had different views, it was that he made some very elitistic remarks about his views being objectively enlightened and better than everyone else's, an attitude which I hate with a flag in the air.
    whitestrat279
    Fatally Jon wrote: rx_eb wrote: Pretty Odd. Pretty Queer. Pretty Gay Wow, that was Pretty.Lame. Probably took you Pretty.Long to come up with that one. Bet you're Pretty.Pleased with your Pretty.Sophisticated sense of humor.
    Pretty. Pwned.
    petrucci_owns86
    Aziraphale wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: haha whatever man, think what you like. And about the Meshuggah thing, I meant some people that have no knowledge in theory can't appreciate them on the same level of those of us who do. And so someone who isn't a huge fan of metal wouldn't like them if they didn't understand the underlying genius. Tons of people love them without knowing that genius and that's cool too. haha you crack me up! First of all I'd say any band that requires its listeners to be theoretically schooled and have a deep understanding of music PHAILS from the start because making music for musicians is like making furniture for carpenters. Pointless, unappreciated, and it doesn't at all contribute to society. And the way you (in another post I didn't quote) say lacking theoretical knowledge is the same as being ignorant is just... what? But that wasn't my main point. Who are you to decide what's genius? I have deep theoretical knowledge, I'm rather fluent in most styles and genres and I find Meshuggah to be, eventhough they are nice guys, a lot of intricate and complex noise. I don't think it's genius, I think it's complicated and challenging to play but genious to me has shit to do with complexity. To me, Sinatra's vibrato is genius, Zappa's horn arrangements are genious, KISS lunchboxes are genius. And even though I have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever playing or learning a P!ATD song, doesn't mean it's shit. Their songs are catchy, people enjoy them, that means they're serving a purpose as musicians. So what if they rip off the beatles, the beatles wrote some complex shit aswell and to me P!ATD sounds fresher than most popular bands these days. If you think music has to be difficult, complex and hard to listen to to be considered genius, then I'd say have it your way, I personally pity you, just don't
    Auals
    rx_eb wrote: Fatally Jon wrote: Wow, that was Pretty.Lame. Probably took you Pretty.Long to come up with that one. Bet you're Pretty.Pleased with your Pretty.Sophisticated sense of humor. It's Pretty.Hypocritical you'd comment such. Guess what? That was Pretty.Bad attempt at being sarcastic... Anyways agree with the comment on this being a rip off
    It's called being condescending, and he did it pretty well.
    aliceinnirvana
    I think all of you guys who get pissed off and say, "if you don't like *insert band* then why are you reading the article?" are just stupid. Sure, it's not right to just come and make immature comments like "I haven't listened to *insert band* because they're gay and suck compared to *insert other band*" and things of that nature, but we all have a right to comment. That's what the comment box is for. It's not called a "comment if you only want to kiss ass to *insert band* and praise them unconditionally" box. I listened to the first album, tried to like it, and then I didn't. I heard them live and I wanted to claw my ears out. I again tried with the second album and found it to be better, but in a negligible way. That is my comment.
    billy_talent77
    guitarist41 wrote: As much as I would like to, I'm not going to give it a 1 just to drag down it's user rating, since I have not actually heard the album. This band made my life a misery back in 2006. lol I like that the top review compares it to David Bowie and The Beach Boys, they're both great[NOTE: The Beatles are the most overrated band of all time]. Maybe this album will actually be alright.
    don't talk about the beatles
    MusicalMinority
    Personally... I didn't like this album much. Sounds a bit like the Beatles... Without the great melodies and awesome hooks. I'm just not feeling the creative vibe or the rush of energy other bands give me, and I just don't hear anything fresh. Definitely not my cup of tea, but everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Oh... And the Beatles are NOT overrated.
    RainyMonday
    I like it. I like the first one two. it's kind of annoying though because they sort of re invented themselves into a band that already exists. Also, why are people commenting that didn't like Panic at the disco at any point in time anyway? Thats kind of lame if there is a discussion of a band that you don't like and just for the heck of it you write that they suck.
    Fatally Jon
    Actually, I thought that was effectively sarcastic, and am quite suprised that you didn't think so. But about the album... I liked it, I won't lie. There are some songs that are great and others that I skip right over. It's not a perfect album, nor is it making any breakthroughs, but it's a pretty solid album.
    1000cleverlines
    i honestly dont see why meshuggah got brought into this. kind of a ridiculous argument. don't bash an album if you haven't listened to it. simple.
    petrucci_owns86
    I'm normally a metal fan, and I'm a huge follower of Opeth, Dream Theater, and Between the Buried and Me, but I actually didn't think this album was that bad. I survived
    Aziraphale
    diminish other people's opinions just because you think you are better than them, it makes you seem like a prick and if you go around thinking you are more enlightened than everyone else, chances are always that it's the other way around...
    Henkdemachtige
    i hear alot its a ripp-off, luckily for me, i never actually listened to beach boys and beatles ETC. so for me the sound is new =) ...You may and go hate me now.
    stumaster18
    pogostick wrote: hmm, all the reviews give it 8 or 9, but the users give it 4.7. methinks that there are some metal snobs on here rating an album they don't own just becuase they hate this genre of music. Jesus, grow up guys, don't rate it if you don't even have the album, just be a little more tolerant of people's taste. i like panic, as well as metallica, iron maiden, suicide machines, blood brothers, etc, just don't come here with your negitive ratings. P.S i know i'm like the 100th person to say this, but still
    I'll be the 101st
    rx_eb
    BriGuy7727
    I personally hate the lead singer's voice, but I appreciate his range & his ability to sing. He has some talent, I just dislike the way he sounds. I haven't listened to the new CD, but I HATED the last CD. I guess I'm more of a voice guy in music & the backing guitar/bass/drum parts didn't intrigue me at all. But to say that this band doesn't have any talent is not completely correct. Their singer (although annoying voice) is very talented
    Matt_1213
    regrets&romance wrote: hahah oh man, i think we all need to sit down and listen to some neil diamond
    That my friend is the most intelligent thing i've heard all day. Lets fashion ourselves a bonfire out of Panic CD's to sit around while we listen.
    alucardmik
    i dont really mind their first album my mum owns it but i think their second album is a step in the right direction
    HurricaneSG
    I liked fever, the synth etc. and at first I didnt like this album at all but after listening for a while I think its pretty good. stop arguing about complexity of music!
    Auals
    omarrodrigez wrote: Junesongtrigger wrote: In all honesty though, you can't be serious comparing this band to Meshuggah. Honestly. Why would you even try? They do nothing alike, there is nothing relative between them and if you like one chances are you will hate the other. What's the deal man? I wasn't comparing them, read one of my latter posts.
    Ok, i'm just going to make a point here. I've passed my fourth grade theory Exam. I did year 12 composition. I play bass at a 4th Grade level and Guitar at a 3rd. However, I don't play music like that. I enjoy it sure, but I much prefer to crank out some Brand New or Say Anything. Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin. Early Blink 182, Yellowcard. These bands are not extremely hard musically (Say Anything being an exception really). However, lyrically they are amazing. My point being. Just because I know my theory doesn't mean I use it. Sure the music is obviously easy and not neccessarily hard to follow, as well as predictable. But it's what I enjoy. What you know isn't what you play. The lead singer is a multi-instrumentalist. They all played instruments other than their own on this album. just learn your stuff man. No, I don't listen to Meshuggah if you awnt to make that a point.