Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

Coming from a person who has been around music all my life, and has listened to a lot of music, both good and bad, Panic At The Disco has seriously written over the definition rock. They have given a whole new demention to their sound by adding unusual and interesting instruments, such as fiddles, strings, and I am not sure but I think they might have used a hammer-dulcimer. Once you look past their actions and looks and focus on their music, and the meanings of the lyrics you can see the band in a whole new way. Pretty. Odd. did not disappoint me at all, and those who don't care for PATD should really try listening in an unbiased way.

Ryan Ross has definetly got a talent for creating images with his words. He has taken the standard lyrics most bands write about such as love and ex's and thrown them away. He has used a lot of metaphors and allusions in this album, and it enhances the CD a lot. Using the sun and the moon in "When The Day Met The Night" was good symbolism for two people who are totally different but end up with each other because they embrace their differences. In "That Green Gentleman(Things Have Changed)" he gives a new view point to the band. They have changed their style of music, giving it more depth but the band itself has not changed all that much. They spent a lot of time finging themselves and the result was definetly satisfactory. Brendon Urie is one of the most amazing vocalists in this era, and I wouldn't pick anyone else to do the job. He sounds amazing live and in the studio. Some bands need to use tons of sound boards and voice enhancements to sound good, but Brendon is naturally a good singer.

Pretty. Odd. is really special because not a lot of bands are comfortable with exploring their musical talents and thinking outside of the box. Panic at the Disco has ventured farther into the musical world than most bands would ever dream of doing. I wouldn't compare PATD to any other band because they aren't like any other band. I think that Pas de Cheval and Folkin Around are really impressive songs because they have an element of surprise. Folkin Around when you first hear it sounds sorta like its title; a folk song. But as soon as the vocals come in you know that it is just a really amazing acoustic song with wonderful lyrics and a talented singer. Pas de Cheval is different because it is named in french and because this is one of the few songs that really has a solo in it. Ryan Ross has wonderful guitar talent and it really shows through this song. I love just about everything on this album. The instruments, the music, the lyrics. The only thing I dislike is that Spencer and Jon don't really sing in this CD. Ryan and Brendon shared vocals but Spencer and Jon were in the background. I would definetly never ever loose this album and if it ever got stolen, I would go and buy another one as soon as I could. It is one of my most favorite CDs. Panic at the Disco has definetly gone above and beyond with this album.

decaydance_rokk
    amen to the comment above me. whats the point of reading about some band you dont like? get a life dudes.