Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

One word, wow, with their previous release(A Fever You Can't Sweat Out) Panic At The Disco started touring the world.With their big beat sound and heavy synths on the first part of the album and more conventional instruments on the seconed half the CD was a big hit.But Pretty.Odd.Leans more towards the genre of music that's on the seconed half of their previous release and beyond.To me, it's way better, while I did like a Fever You Can't Sweat Out, Pretty.Odd.Is a whole level up from it, it's beautifully illustrated lyrics and great musical ideas are nothin short from fantastic.Not to mention it does without some of the sexually profane lyrics and course language that's found on A Fever, so you could actually listen to it with your parents, I think this record is awesome and commemerate the band for doing such a great job.Certantly no sophmore slump here.The soun of pretty.Odd.Is well Pretty, Odd, Minus the odd, it has a wide range of instruments such as piano, guitars.drums, and even some brass instruments, The brass instruments are a great addition to the album, they can be found on songs such as their single Nine In The afternoon(Back To The Streets) and Mad As Rabbits.It kind of reminds you of Peter And The Wolf.

The lyrics of Pretty.Odd.Fall nothing short of creative, and great.Such songs especially caught my attention, those being That Green Gentlemen(Things Have Changed) Northern Downpour, and Mad As Rabbits.Ryan, Brendon, Jon, and Spencer do a great job with just writing great songs on this album.Some of my favorate lines on the albumarre,"I know the worlds a broken bone, but melt your headaches call it home." (Northern Downpour) and the final lyrics to the last songon the album,"We must reinvent love"(Mad As Rabbits) hmmm... never could find lyrics like that on A Fever You Can't Sweat Out.Not to mention the songs just have this happy vibe to them.

My overall impression of Pretty.Odd.Is that it is great, now while it does have some downfalls such as "I never gave a damn about the weather and it never gave a damn about me."But to thise of you who don't mind a little language (and I mean it's only in Do You Know What I'm Seeing?")then that won't affect you.And the only other downfall is, um, getting to hooked on it, I know I did.Brendon Uries vocal range is great and he has one of the best voices out there, and with the addition of Ryan Ross's (who is lead guitar) only adds to the CD.Brendon's more poppier clean voice mixed with Ryan's more rough voice is a great collaberation.They do a greatjob of dueting together.This can be heard in songs such as Mad As Rabbits(which is my favorate off the album).If you weren't a fan of Panic! At The Disco, you might just be a fan of Panic At The Disco, I encourage those of you who have not heard it to pick it up and listen, it may suprise you.I think this CD is great and if something happened to mine I would quickly buy a new copy.

Mimza
    Somnambulance
    Mimza wrote: I love this album because it took balls to make. Skinny-leg-jeans-squished as those balls were! The P(!)ATD boys completely ditched their old style (their record winning, acclaimed and inevitably "richer" style, mind you) for what they seemed to want to do, and my respect for them has skyrocketed because of that. If they were attempting to feed off the Beatles' success, then.. well, whatever, I like how it sounds nonetheless and I still respect them. While we're all complaining about We're So Starving, I'd just like to mention that a good lyric doesn't necessarily have to beat around the bushes of the Amazon to be 'good'. If it's any consolation, the syntax of the sentence was correct, the words used are real ones and it's pretty blunt for all those AFYCSO fans that died inside upon hearing the opening chord, stripped of harpsichords and accordions and synthesisers as it was. What did you expect, "Oh, clock faces meet their twins and the globe pirouettes through another vast and starry abyss. But appearing as they are amongst the demise, floral-shirts with vintage hearts imprinted on their sleeves, they return. Fear not, adolescent hearts, remain poised, composure kept." It's only an introduction..? May I please direct your eyes to, perhaps, Yahhh - Soulja Boy, to show you just what a bad lyric looks like. Kthx. I love this album. Style aside, Brendon's voice has shown a lot of improvement. Ryan's monotone is actually tolerable, enjoyable even, and I like that he's trying. Harmonies sound better (go Jon.), quality is clearer, there's instrumental variations and experimentations and interesting lyrics. I like it. You can hate it, but I love it - trumpets, floral shirts, bowl-cuts and all.
    Soulja Boy is just as clever as Panic at the Disco. They both know how to sell their product to a prospective market, potentially the most important thing in the music business now. Neither one is, however, marketable to the entire populous as artists like Michael Jackson or Prince were. Surely those two artists were immensely talented, but talent doesn't guarantee you fame. If talent did give you fame, heck, more people would know who Ali Farka Toure is. That said, I would like to know how Panic at the Disco is so popular, so please explain it to me. I've been studying pop music for years, and if any band doesn't make sense to me, it is this band.