Pretty. Odd. review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
Panic! At the Disco: Pretty. Odd.

The very first song I heard from Panic at the Disco was "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies," which I thought was a pretty catchy alternative/punk song, but I still thought it was sort of mainstream in terms of instrumentals. As I was surfing YouTube, I came along "That Green Gentleman," which impressed me with an upbeat acoustic guitar, a Beatle-esque electric guitar lines, overall happy vocals, and in my opinion, a very unique sound that I haven't heard in most music today. After that, I began to look into other songs from Pretty. Odd., and immediately fell in love with tracks such as "Northern Downpour" and "Nine in the Afternoon", both of which had enjoyable music videos, as well. I finally purchased the CD during Christmas this year (2008), and I was impressed by the sound of every song. I think they took it into their hands to make a new sound for each song, and in my opinion, they succeeded. Even though it's completely different than "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out," I think that original Panic At The Disco fans (the ones that loved them with the! still there) will like this album because it still has that PATD feel to it.

I think that Ryan Ross did a remarkable job with the lyrics for this album. Sure, you can't understand them at first, but there is a profound meaning behind every word that he writes. There's not much I can say about them except that they were superb in my mind.

All in all, I was extremely impressed by Panic at the Disco's work on this album. It was both unique and enjoyable, and I think they are at the head of a revolution to carve a new sound into music. Some of the songs that I enjoyed the most were "She's a Handsome Woman," for it's catchy melodies and lyrics, "Nine in the Afternoon," for it's upbeat and happy feeling, and "That Green Gentleman," for being the first Pretty. Odd. song I came to love. If you were to compare this album to other albums, I think that PATD shows both outstanding songwriting talent, and instrumental talent.

brentondig
    I found that the song, "Nine in the Afternoon" was very out of place in the NHL 09 soundtrack...
    Somnambulance
    AdenZerda wrote: What's with everyone calling Panic gay? I'm gay and I can't stand this band. Stop lumping them in with us, please.
    I'm not gay, but I do agree that is fairly derogatory to use the word as an insult.
    fitterhappier34
    rx_eb wrote: Pretty Odd. Pretty Queer. Pretty Gay
    That statement is redundant, considering a sexual orientation is not an insult, nor a compliment. Good job. And this is just one example of pointless comments. Obviously people will hate PATD, due to excessive radio play, stereotypical scene fangirls (whom I can't stand, either), and the fact that they got discovered by that idiot Pete Wentz. I don't care, I enjoy both of their albums. First of all, as of now, they have nothing to do with the emo / pop-punk style. They are pop-rock. They aren't your average pop-rock group, though. They pay close attention to composition of songs, such as complex chords (not just power chords like you may believe), odd time-signatures, and the addition of various instruments. It's obviously not the most complex music ever, but it's more impressive than a lot of the crap we hear on radio these days, hands down. Oh, and by the way, I am not necessarily a listener of this style; I mostly listen to Radiohead, indie rock, and various jazz artists, and I can even go as far as listening to the death metal band, Necrophagist. This review really pisses me off, due to it's immature behavior that makes me feel embarrassed to be a teenager, as well as a human being.
    omarrodrigez wrote: duncang wrote: omarrodrigez wrote: SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. They are that bad when compared to greats like Meshuggah or King Crimson. Lmao, you're so coooool for listening to bands like that. Woaaaah. I was just claiming those bands make panic look like nothing more than a couple of 14 year olds who cannot play their instruments, not that I'm cool because I listen to them.
    Oh, and just because someone's not a virtuoso, that doesn't mean they can't play their instruments. Also, Meshuggah makes PATD look like 14 year olds? What are you saying? They look old? You clever person, you.
    spazzy21
    bands like panic at the disco arnt punk....they should never be labled as punk b/c then you get a bunch of trendy ass kids giving punk a bad name. Bands like black flag, minor threat,agnostic front, gang green, dead boys, 7 seconds, D.R.I. and bad brains. get bad names when panic at the disco is associated with punk.
    Stone Agean
    Most of you wouldnt've heard of Electric Light Orchestra, but i can hear so much of their influence in PatD's radio singles (havent heard any album tracks). Compare Nine in the Afternoon to Mr Blue Sky.... rediculously similar.
    nailsarecruel
    pretty.bland May seem catchy, innovative and "a step in the right direction" for people who have never listened to or even heard of The Beatles and The Beach Boys, which is a shame. The classic output from those two bands are around the same age as a middle aged human. While the music sounds dated now, the themes are still relevant, and the music catchy and inventive. To say Panic at the disco has borrowed or paid homage to these bands is bullshit. This album is a shoddy ripoff and the video for nine in the afternoon gives the impression that their brainstorming session for this plagiarized pile was to listen to a few tracks off Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band and produce a fanfic-based sequel. This band is nowhere close to being as inventive or good as their PR make them out to be. Their only consolation is that at best, the talented bunch of young men who did this stuff 40-50 years ago have settled into their roles as gentlemanly grandfathers and feel flattered by this bunch of plagiarizing hacks. Morrissey seems to have similarly mellowed out by now. Maybe Panic's next studio effort can be a rip off the Smiths' classic The Queen is Dead?
    brighteyes577
    Cheesepuff
    brighteyes577 wrote: i love this cd and i think it's great, but i don't listen to it much because it basically IS just their version of Sgt.Pepper's..
    On Sgt. Peppers every single song was good. Here, only like 2 or 3 don't get boring.
    Betzefer
    I was bored the other day so I thought I'll download this album and give it a listen, and I am now happy to declare that it truly sucks ass. I admit my opinion isn't neutral, I tend to hate most stuff classified as emo but it's not unusual for me to come across a nice song in a genre I can't stand, like an effort that I can at least admire... and that's really not the case here, just a pile of horribly overated crap.
    Slayer 101
    SchitzoJoe wrote: Probably so, duncang. People shouldn't be allowed to post in reviews unless they've actually listened to and can judge an entire album truthfully. Honestly, I don't understand what's up with the whole "hate" thing against Panic! and Fall Out Boy. They're honestly not that bad of bands. They're not anything to write home about, but they're really not that bad. the whole hate thing is because we used to have bands like, alice in chains, mad season, sound garden, and peral jam. now were stuck with talentless emos like fob and patd. so naturally anyone with any kind of taste in rock music is pissed.
    AdenZerda