Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die! review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Oct 8, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Panic! At the Disco: Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!

Panic! At The Disco formed in 2004, and found immediate success with their first album, "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out," mainly on the power of their single, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." Their second album, which had a stylistic change going from pop punk more into the realm of pop music with rock elements, saw less success. Their third album, "Vices & Virtues," was marked by Jon Walker and Ryan Ross leaving the band, and another stylistic change - this time to more of a rock context with heavy pop influences. "TOo Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!" displays yet another stylistic change, this time showing the band delve into the realm of dance pop. The album contains 10 tracks that clock in at just a little over 32 minutes. The first two singles from the album were "Miss Jackson" and "This Is Gospel," which were released respectively in mid-July and mid-August. The album opens up with the track "This Is Gospel," which slowly builds by adding in instrumentation until the chorus comes in and the song changes gears to a high energy track. "Miss Jackson" is next, and probably has the most "rock" vibe of any track on the album, but an unmistakable dance beat running throughout. "Vegas Lights" starts with an audio sample (I think from old school Sesame Street) and builds to an EDM track with a female chorus singing the hook, and with Brendon Urie doing the verses. "Girl That You Love" sounds a lot like an EDM track that might have come out back in the day of new wave music. "Nicotene" starts with a creepy little melody on keyboard and builds for quite a while in the track, making you expect the bass to drop, but instead it goes back to that creepy little melody from the beginning. "Girls/Girls/Boys" is the next track, and this track makes me think about '80s new wave music as well. Next up is "Casual Affair" which has a very interesting intro, but once the lyrics come in you realize that intro is just going to keep going (with the exception of the chorus) and discover this is once again an EDM-styled track. "Far Too Young to Die" starts out with a slow melody on keyboard, but is soon punctuated by some midi percussion playing 4/4 at about 120 BPM accompanied by heavily processed vocals. "Collar Full" starts out with an almost indie rock sound but the chorus pushes the track far into the realm of pop. "The End of All Things" starts out with a piano part that does a great job of symbolizing all the things the title of the song suggests. The vocals come in very heavily processed, but they mostly work with the piano part. A string arrangement makes its way into the track, but it sits back a little in the mix. The track makes a good bookend for the album.

Brendon Urie has already proved his chops as a vocalist, most successfully in the pop punk genre. While he still seems to have every bit of ability he had back then, he is now supplemented by very heavy processing - reverbs, auto-tune, chorus effects, etc. I can't really complain, as this is pretty much standard practice for dance music – which this album seems to be. The lyrics at times seem to be fairly personal, but at other times seem to just be standard dance music lyrics. As a sample, here are some lyrics from their single, "This Is Gospel": "This is gospel for the fallen ones/ locked away in permanent slumber/ assembling their philosophies/ from pieces of broken memories/ Oh, this is the beat of my heart, this is the beat of my heart/ The gnashing teeth and criminal tongues conspire against the odds/ But they haven't seen the best of us yet." The lyrics definitely have a more narrative nature than you would expect with the music, and are by far the most interesting part of the album.

I definitely enjoyed the previous album, "Vices & Virtues," more than this current release. This release is, however, very pop oriented and very accessible to the general listener. I think that there will probably be a lot of people who really enjoy this album and a lot of that is going to depend on how you define good pop music. For me, personally, good pop music is like The Beatles, or maybe Brendan Benson. I feel like this album shows another step into the direction of disposable pop. It isn't a bad album, but at the end of the day it doesn't feel like there is a lot of substance to it.

SGrocker33
    "....as a response to prolonged clubbing in the clubs of Las Vegas?" *facepalm* this is almost as bad as the Miley Cyrus review. Power pop....
    lukastherocksta
    I am a musician and song writer and "panic at the disco" is what i would consider "good music" they don't do the same thing over and over like most bands of our time. Changing sounds with each album is quite admirable and the mark of a great artist. I give a thumbs up.
    ericguitarfob09
    Couldn't agree more. I feel like this album was doomed from the start as far as people on this site not liking it because it's not "rock". But, despite it not being rock, songs like "Casual Affair" actually rocks hard and drips of hip-hop. A song like "The End of All Things" is so beautiful, in lyrics and the music involved, and honestly, I think the auto-tune actually enhances the song. It's never the instrument, it's how it's used and it's actually used appropriately here. I expect to get downvoted, but really, what the **** does that even matter, this album is awesome for those that actually give it a chance and don't bring any kind of bias into the equation.
    Lersch
    I think the album's good for what it is. I actually was really looking forward to hearing their new direction but was kind of disappointed. The album is growing on me though, so maybe that's it. Also, the effect on The End Of All Things is a vocoder, listen to Imogen Heap's Hide & Seek, I think both songs are really beautiful
    CoattailRider9
    This is a really good review. It isn't completely biased against pop and dance-pop. I for one, am not really a fan of the direction they took and I could definitely do without the auto-tune because Urie definitely doesn't need it. But, all in all, it's not a horrible album. I just wish they'd go a little more rock.
    Shawn1379
    Haven't listened to this yet, but I really miss the "Pretty. Odd." style. It was such a sweet and special album for me. I'm still definitely a fan though, and Brendon seems like a great guy so it's cool (maybe a little enviable) to see him playing music he loves. I just really, really enjoyed that album. I'll give this a listen soon.
    FERAL1975
    I agree I like all of them to varying degrees including this new one. But I think they were at their best on the 2nd album.
    pohfik
    I like Panic! At The Disco, but this album except for 3 songs is absolutely Awful :/
    Drapte
    I disagree I really like this album. I think this is a good direction for them.
    turtlesforlunch
    'Someone likes something I dislike, let's downvote him!' Really people?
    K!!LsWiTcH
    yeah thats what theyre there for. i hatehow when UG addedthese stupid things that people think its its own justice system or something as if we just called unfair guilty sentence. relax...theyre red numbers...
    BjarnedeGraaf
    I know they are great friends with Fall Out Boy, but these bands just try too hard to sound like eachother..
    brokndwn06
    as all albums with Panic... couple songs i can add to there best of songs in my opinion.
    BjarnedeGraaf
    I didn't like all of their songs prior to Jon Walker and Ryan Ross leaving the band, but when they left this band had no good songs for my taste anymore.
    AlecBeretz
    Panic is a shitty pop band, but they've been one of the best shitty pop bands over the last decade or so... for what it is, its good.
    william.dougher
    There original style was cool that cabaret pop was there thing they should have kept it..they owned it
    Lersch
    I really like their first and second albums, but for me since Vices... they worsened. I was actually looking forward to what they were gonna do with all the dance electronic stuff influences, but for me it's (like the reviewer said)a step into disposable pop music.
    ricardo.souza.0
    TBH, there's no such thing like saying about directions when we're talking about P!ATD. Each album has its own style and soul, they're all very different from the other, so I don't expect this album to be showing where will they go from here. About the album itself, it's good, but my least favorite from their discography. My favorite songs are Miss jackson, Vegas Lights and Nicotine
    amaramirulzabid
    no matter what. they're still the best pop band for me. good song and lyrics. the best part is they have the courageous to change the type of music from album to album and thats great.
    ryanbeach_
    Decent album, but I think a few of the songs sound too "childish" for me, and the lyrics could use some work. Personally, I think their best was Vices & Virtues.
    tarik775
    This album's awesome, i didn't like 'Miss Jackson' at first so i thought "oh no i hope the whole album doesn't sound like this" but the rest of it 'in my OPINION' is AWESOME I'm glad they changed there sound!!
    derpdragon
    Why are you people here? Please kill yourselves. It's people like you who listen to this garbage that have single-handedly ruined the world.
    vppark2
    No, it's people like you who have their heads so far up their ass that they can't even respect another person's view on a band like this.
    Abacus11
    Damn, Dude... that's rough. This music IS pretty bad but I don't know if anyone should "kill themselves" or that they've "ruined the world". Easy there... breathe...
    dannydesktop
    Funny thing, Hunter Thompson most likely would hate these modern bands that cite his work like avenged and panic. They are posers