Vices & Virtues review by Panic! At the Disco

• Released: Mar 29, 2011
Panic! At the Disco: Vices & Virtues

Panic! At The Disco has always had a different sound, some hybrid between synth rock, pop, and alternative. That being said, while it may seem like a different type of music, they are GREAT at making it work. In this they actually venture into using even more than their already impressive lineup of classic instruments, opening "The Ballad Of Mona Lisa" with a vibraphone, and an acourdian in "Sara Smiles" to name a few. Don't fear though, they did not lose a single step on their drum, bass, and guitar parts in the process. Overall they sound a lot more like they did on their first album "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" than they did on their second album "Pretty. Odd", which, while I LOVE "When They Day Met The Night", is definatly an improvement.

Panic! has always been a band that produces interesting lyics, and this album is no different, but the beauty of it is that it is a very good kind of different. One new addition to their lyrical themes is found on their in the form of their song "Always". On this track, lead singer Brendon Urie actually preforms a ballad, and a good one at that, exploring his impressive upper range singing on basicially the entire track. Their different lyrics seem to be the yin to the yang of their different kind of sound, so overall it works really well!

As I said previously, Panic! seems to be heading in the direction of some of their older stuff, which is something that I think anyone bothering to read this review would love to see! In the event that someone would steal this from me, I would undoubtably buy this album again! Some tracks to look out for are "The Ballad Of Mona Lisa", "Hurricane", "Memories", "Always", and "Nearly Witches (Ever Since We Met)".