Cowboys From Hell review by Pantera

• Released: Jul 24, 1990
Pantera: Cowboys From Hell

When it comes to a heavy sound Pantera kicks the crap out of so many other bands. Dime's guitar tone is one of the most amazing I've ever heard and his rhythm guitar can from slow heavy notes to machine gun picking. Just listen to the way the rythym feel changes in Domination. Rex is an amazing bassist, just listen to his bassline I'm Message In Blood. Vinnies drum manages to give Dime's playing an exceptionally heavy Feel.

There's nothing special when it comes to the lyrics but Phil Anselmo sure can hit all the notes. I prefer his singing on later albums except for when he's completely messed up on heroin. While the later albums include him singing with quite a bit of emotion and more melody this album reminds me far to much of hair metal vocals. You can just pick up a hint of '80s singing in his voice.

A really stellar album. Not their best but really awesome. If it were stolen I would definitley buy this again because this album is one of the truly great metal albums out there.

steady666
    awesome album. this is the first time ive actually paid attention to pantera, and i like what i hear.