Cowboys From Hell review by Pantera

• Released: Jul 24, 1990
Pantera: Cowboys From Hell

This was Pantera's debut into the bigger crowds, and who said they failed to deliver? With roaring guitars, ear pounding vocals, and fast, beating drums, this is probably their best album (Along with Vulgar). You can always tell Pantera by Dimebag's signature, high-mid tone, and it is just tearing in this album, from riff's to solos Dimebag really shines throughout this album, proving him that he deserves the title as one of the best guitarists ever.

The lyrics I thought were pretty good, from the sick tale shown in Cemetary Gates, to the Texas-supported lyrics of Cowboys From Hell, all sung with Phil's wailing vocals. He may not be the best singer, but no no one could replace him, his voice just belongs in the band, its one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle. Phil's highlights of the album are definately the vocal's on Shattered, and Cemetary Gates, where his high wails backup the screams emitting from Dime, and the punding of Vinnie's drums. Overall, I thought Phil Anselmo marked his territory on this album, and in this band. I thought he should do a little more singing though.

This album was the first "true" Pantera album, and it might be the best. I especially love this album because along with Nirvana's Nevermind, it ended hair metal! So in a way they saved music! Not to mention it sounds good at the same time! The highlights of the album are definately Cowboys from Hell, Cemetary Gates (amazing solo!), Medicine Man, and Domination. I honestly love everything about this album, but I'd prefer if Phil sang a little more, other than that its awesome! If i ever lost it id buy a new one immediatley!

the_burning_one
    Kooldood wrote: i definately wouldnt class pantera as rock... or hair metal... I would class it as "one of the best thrash/heavymetal acts that ever walked this earth" metal, next to metallica,maiden and a7x RIP dime
    ... Maiden isnt thrash man and a7x sucks balls
    rickeytrevino
    This is Pantera's best album and their only album that can be called "good" IMO. I love the solo in "The Sleep" also. RIP Dime.
    SGofawesome
    guitaringnathan wrote: Terrify_Dmac wrote: I don't think they're quite metallica im pretty sure you mean metallica is not quite Pantera. im glad someone else understands, texas thrash for the win
    Pantera isn't thrash... HEAVY METAL!!