Far Beyond Driven review by Pantera

• Released: Mar 22, 1994
Pantera: Far Beyond Driven

The sound of this album is heavy as f--k but in saying that there are some beautiful solos and some nice melodic moments. I believe that this album showcases the best Pantera can deliver. The production of this album is excellent. The brutality of this album doesn't stop until the great cover of Planet Caravan. The album is the perfect starting point for anyone looking to get into Pantera.

The lyrics on this album are diverse. Almost every topic is covered, from enemies, dead beat fathers, breaking up with your girlfriend, and drug use. Phil's vocal abilities vary on this album with Shedding skin and 5 minutes alone being my top picks.

This album is the best Pantera album period. It is similar to (and superior to) DevilDriver, Machine Head, and Chimaira's top works. The most impressive songs on this album are Becoming, 5 Minutes Alone, Slaughtered, and Shedding Skin. This album also made me pick up Black Sabbath's Paranoid after hearing their cover of Planet Caravan. I love every song off this album with the exception of Good friends and a bottle of pills. If this album was lost or stolen I'd definitely buy it again and then I'd melt the person who stole it's face off.

Dude_SN
    Of course this album cant be beat. By the way, have you noticed how they get proggressivley louder every album?
    Dude_SN
    Owl is right, they were glam, but not anymore, cause theyre broken up and dead. No, youre right about the attitude. They turned from lA la LA to ARRRRRGHHHHH! **** ARGHHH! *****! I love Pantera.
    melowar
    Pantera were cock rockers in the 80's so you can't compare them to 80's thrash genre. But when Metallica and Megadeth changed their style to a more commercial sound Pantera did the opposite and went heavier so you could say they flip-flopped. FBD was brutal in your face release that quickly went to Number 1 in the charts (pretty impressive especially for a metal band in the 90's) and I loved it. Looking back and listening to it now I think its one of their weakest. You can see signs of Phil's rock star ego getting out of control, some of the solos are just complete noise(probably rushed)some of the song arrangements could have been better thought out. Deosn't surprise me it was made in 6 weeks. Having said all that I think the metalcore genre owe their entire existence to Pantera specifically to FBD. Maybe even bands like Shitknot and Disturbed too! 6.5 or maybe 7 out 10.
    melowar
    I'm not gay so I prefer brains over BALLS! Just becuase their alot of anger/screaming and highly distorted guitars deos'nt mean its good metal.
    hawkdude9
    wow youre a tough guy, calling a dead guy a douche
    Trivium_Child
    dimedoosh? very creative... and it was spelled right. Aren't you a brilliant child. i especially like how you actually search this up just to post stupid ass horse shit comments. and becoming doesn't fail!
    SGofawesome
    hawkdude9 wrote: 530-333-1962 wrote: Pantera can lick my hairy nutsack. Especially dimedoosh darrell. wow youre a tough guy, calling a dead guy a douche
    Dude, you did this on the reinventing the steel review too! get the hell off here
    fendercobain87
    this album is the best ever metal album ever released 25 years is a ****ing masterpeace pantera is the best no one can **** with dime best album period !!!!
    JHC_DOH
    This is easily the WORST pantera album. Not as in it's not as good as the others, but as in it sucks complete ass. Awful album. Dime's tone sounds different (in a bad way) on this album, and Phil's singing was awful. He sounds like Randy Blithe, which is no surprise to me, as this album sums up ALL of LoG's musical influence. Every other pantera album is GREAT.They have (excluding this and the pre-CFH albums) maybe 2 bad songs in there whole discography. The only song that I found even listenable was "5 minutes alone". I was VERY dissapointed with this album. PURE TRASH. I forgot to mention that I as a HUGE Pantera fan. (actually more a Phil Anselmo fan) I'd like to say that if you don't like Pantera, you are either a woman, a gay guy , or Randy Blithe.
    Randy_Blithe_1337 wrote: Pantera can lick my hairy nutsack. Especially dimedoosh darrell
    ^See?
    melowar wrote: I'm gay so I prefer BALLS! Just becuase their alot of anger/screaming and highly distorted guitars deos'nt mean its good BALLS!.
    ^Fixt
    Mainer
    Dude, not correct lol. I know a couple women who like Pantera...lol
    ThrashUnleashed
    I love the distortion on this album. My favorite aside from Autopsy's Mental Funeral. Great album, but the first review needs a spell check.