Official Live : 101 Proof Review

Pantera: Official Live : 101 Proof
Released: Jul 29, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Official Live: 101 Proof hits most, but not quite all, of the high points of Pantera's career.
 9.6
 9.2
Official Live : 101 Proof Reviewed by: narmi, on december 06, 2004

Sound: It is a live Pantera concert. One of the best metal bands to ever take the stage are in, as usual, their best form. This is a great live album. It is only at its best when played extremely loud. The setlist is what you would expect from Pantera, not really focusing on any particular album just playing their best material, although some fantastic tracks are missed out which is a pity, eg The Art Of Shredding, Mouth For War etc. but you can't play every song you have at a gig even if all the songs rule. The sound quality does not disappoint, there are no hard to hear parts or songs. It just makes you wish they hadnt split up and carried on even further into the heavy metal hall of fame. Dimebags guitars are sounding perfect, they are extremely loud and youd expect someone else to play rhythm during some songs as the layering in the studio work is quite extensive however it is just the bearded metal master and he does not disappoint. Genius. // 10

Lyrics: Phil's singing has always been stunning. On Cemetery Gates (studio version) his voice is just unbelievable, he can really sing, apparently there are very very few people who can go as high as he does at the end of Cemetery Gates. Of course at a live gig it isnt about being the singer who can sing the highest notes, it is about the crowd. He screams his balls off and is fantastic. The lyrics, well just read the other reviews of other studio albums to find out, they are magnificent. However during the live rendition of cemetery gates, he doesnt sing as softly as I would have liked but that doesnt really matter, he rules. // 10

Overall Impression: The standout tracks are: Walk, Becoming, 5 Minutes Alone, This Love, I'm Broken, Cowboys From Hell, Cemetery Gates and Fuckin Hostile. I might as well give you the full track listing. There are also two bonus track that are previously unreleased these are pretty average by Pantera standards, maybe a clue as to why they did eventually begin to drifter away from each other. A great live album from a great band. Almost all live albums are fantastc, otherwise they wouldnt be released, but this does stand out among the rest as it is something you will probably never experience if you havent seen pantera before, I haven't and I still wish they hadnt split up but when a bands gotta end, its gotta end. Go get it now as it is a masterpiece in the art of metal. // 10

Official Live : 101 Proof Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 04, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is completely insane. The guitar on this album is amazing but holy crap Dimebag is insane when he plays live. The drums are breathtaking on this album I couldnt play any of the songs if I even tried. The bass is just really really good and Rex can defentilely play it with style and anger. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were actually pretty good on this album. Pantera are an amazing vocal band when it comes to live performances by them. Phillip is one of the best singers ever just showing anger and nothing else in his music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is cannot compare to any other artist because I have never heard an artist perform live like this before. I don't have any favorites. I hate nothing about it I enjoyed every single moment off it, it also comes with bonus tracks. Yes I would defenitely buy this album again if it were lost. // 10

Comments