Reinventing Hell: The Best Of Review

Pantera: Reinventing Hell: The Best Of
Release Date: 2003
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Heavy Metal
This is Pantera's new Best Of, and here they are like we all like them, this CD is an incredible metal bomb which contains 16 incredible songs placed in a chronological order from their first smashing album "Cowboys From Hell" to their latest "Reinventing The Steel."
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
Reinventing Hell: The Best Of Reviewed by: Lord Vodka, on february 06, 2006

Sound: "Reinventing Hell" is Pantera's new Best Of, and here they are like we all like them, this CD is an incredible metal bomb which contains 16 incredible songs placed in a chronological order from their first smashing album "Cowboys From Hell" to their latest "Reinventing The Steel." The guitar sound is amazing: this cd proves that Dimebag Darell was indeed one of the best guitarist ever. His drummer brother, Vinnie Paul, has a lot of style too. Phil Anselmo, the crazy singer of the band adds a little touch of madness to this superb record. This best of also contains a DVD with all their videos, and a live video from "Domination" and "Primal Concrete Sledge." // 10

Lyrics: The band wrote some very poetic songs like "Cemetary Gates," but also very shocking ones, or more violent, like "Mouth For War." But one thing is sure: they exactly know how to warm up their public, would it be because of their lyrics or because of their energy, like I could see in their DVD. Pantera also expose us a lot of revolutional ideas ("Revolution Is My Name," of course). // 9

Overall Impression: This cd is just a must! It is I would say a precious Metal relic, absolutely necessary for your Rock-education! Now that Dimebag is gone, the only way to remeber them is to listen to their incredible music. This CD is like a path to the metal-heaven's gates. Even if you're not a Pantera fan, this CD should just change your mind. // 9

Reinventing Hell: The Best Of Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on december 18, 2006

Sound: More an anthology album than a greatest hits due to rare tracks and albums representatives. But this still contains some killer tracks, such as "Cowboys From Hell", "Mouth For War", "Drag The Waters", and "Revolution Is My Name". The guitars are cutting edge bloodthirsty chainsaws, the drums have a huge amount of slap on them, and even though there are 16 different tracks taken from a ten year period, the style of the riffs, the sound of the guitar and drums, and overall aggression remains the same throughout, which is good because the 'Pantera' style is the best and most original style out there. Discuss. // 10

Lyrics: Well these are Pantera lyrics. So they are bound to be good. But the way they are sung obviously varies over the course of the comilation. So they are good in places, like on "Walk", "Cowboys From Hell", "Revolution is my Name", in fact, most of the songs. But when they layer the vocals like on "Drag The Waters" and "Where You Come From" it can sound messy and kinda crap. But overall, the way they are played in unison with the music is great. The best song just for vocals is "Cemetery Gates", where the soft singin switching to the hurtful screaming is truly gripping and can urge you to join in, wherever you are. Which can be bad at times depending on where you are. But "Walk", "Becoming", and "The Badge" are good examples of Phil Anselmo's incredible talent. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't pick my favorite songs from the album, because I have like 16 of them. So I'll do a track by track. 01. Cowboys From Hell - signature track, the first song from this incredible compilation is certainly a ball crusher. The awesome introduction and the brilliant riffs, solo, and vocals and truly amazing ending all form a four minute motherf--ker of an anthem. 02. Domination - I seriously think "Psycho Holiday" is better than this, despite the awesome beginning and the cool riffs and hooks, but this is one giant slaying track. Regularly covered by Bullet for my Valentine. Kind of spoiled towards the end by pointless sound effects, but this blistering track is guaranteed to rip your balls off. 03. Cemetery Gates - one of the most powerful tracks ever, armed with acoustic verses, distorted choruses, soft meaningful vocals turning into gripping sorrowful screams, and brilliant harmonics at the end, "Cemetery Gates" is the one Pantera song that will move you directly to tears. 04. Mouth For War - the best song here from the legendary "Vulgar Display of Power" equipped with riffs that are built to hook you quicker than cigarettes. The final lyric "No one can piss on this determination", was the most truthful line Phil Anselmo ever sang. 05. Walk - most well known riff from the cowboys, this is the song that put Pantera on the map, the song that attracts everybody to buying the legendary "Vulgar Display Of Power". Brilliant solo, and regularly covered by Avenged Sevenfold at live shows. 06. This Love - awesome chorus. But what "This Love" fails to do is outdo "Cemetery Gates", which is obviously what it was meant to do. It isn't sorrowful enough. But apart from that, awesome song. I love it, and my life wouldn't be the same without it. 07. F--king Hostile - all out scream fest, "F--king Hostile" is the song you can go to when you feel so pissed off you could rip a rhino's head off. Screaming along to this blistering beast of a track will release so much stress you would never have guessed you were so angry. Great song. 08. Becoming - cool intro, awesome lyrics. First song here from 1994's "Far Beyond Driven" is a slayer. Dodgy riff which makes for a good feel for the song. But while the solo is kinda crap, it ends quite well. Overall good song. 09. 5 Minutes Alone - it would have been better with "Strength Beyond Strength" in its place, because while this song has some brilliant riffs in it, it is far too long for its own good, even though it's not even six minutes long. It makes you wish they ended it like a minute earlier. But kind of good overall. 10. I'm Broken - the best song here from "Far Beyond Driven", "I'm Broken" is the one song from that album that refers back to the style used on "Vulgar Display". And it's like the only Pantera song where dual vocals actually work and don't completely f--k up the song on impact. Overwhelming song. 11. Planet Caravan - almighty Black Sabbath cover. If this song wasn't here, then the positioning of "5 Minutes Alone" would have made more sense. But a good cover, and, obviously with it being from the 1971 Sabbath album "Paranoid", it's a great song. 12. Drag The Waters - Eerie intro, absolutely brilliant riff, the one song from "The Great Southern Trendkill" (which should have been "Floods" or "Suicide Note Pt. I") has cool, thoughtful lyrics based upon liars and is one of the songs my band is going to cover for it's next album. But the vocals ruin it right at the end. 13. Where You Come From - I don't listen to this song as much as I should, but it's cool. Ironically, it's a studio albums from Pantera's 1998 live album "Official Live: 101 Proof". Really getting the message across that he don't give a f--k. But this song is kind of spoiled by the way it is reverbed so much. 14. Revolution Is My Name - I love this song so much! It's been on my Messenger name for ages. The lyrics don't really make sense since they contradict themselves like every third or fourth line. But definately one of favorites from the the whole compilation. Rock on! 15. Immortally Insane - slow burner, definately my least favorite song from the album. Overdone with reverb, the verses are ultimately boring here, but some brilliant work in the choruses and the solo. 16. The Badge - from the movie "The Crow", this inner-shit-city belter is guaranteed to get you in the mood for somebody up. Police style theme makes for a good NY anthem. Overall, this compilation kicks ass, but could have been better if it had "Strength Beyond Strength" and "Psycho Holiday" instead of "5 Minutes Alone" and "Domintation" and more songs from "The GST" and "Reinventing The Steel". Better than "Far Beyond: The Great Southern Cowboys Vulgar Hits!". If it got stolen by some dickhead, I wouldn't buy it again, I would go and get it back. Anyways I hope you found this helpful; rock on! // 10

Reinventing Hell: The Best Of Reviewed by: tulsa29, on august 25, 2007

Sound: Over all this album had everything the pantera fans could want from the common songs like walk and mouth of war to the less common ones like immortally insane and the badge. The sound of dimebags chugging guitars and vince's kickass kick drumming and rex's (brown) low bass lines combined with phill screaming his ass off all together made this album possible th best album they've done because it's got a little bit of the last four (studio) albums allthough there was only one slow song on there (planet caravan) unless you count cemetary gates as a slow song. This album could have been better by adding some classics like godamm electric or the art of shredding but it's still a great album to put in your CD player, pick up your guitar and just shred to. // 10

Lyrics: As always phill's screams would give you nightmares, if your not into this kind of music, the lyrics we'll look at another reveiw about the album in question. The singing styles in this album we're mixed beacause you have songs from Cowboy from hell, reinventing the steel, far beyond driven, vulgar display of power and the great southern trendkill and it has some rare songs the badge and immortally insane. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion they could have put a few more songs on the CD such as primal concrete sledge, thirteen steps to nowhere and godamm electric, yet the album was convinient to listen to because if your listening to it in a CD player you don't have to keep changing the album if you wanna listen to some heavy pantera. The last four tracks we're my fravorite on that album, the chainsaw like riffs and brutal lyrics we're amazing. If I lost this album I would either cry or go and buy another one, the bonus DVD was a good mix of video's yet I was a bit disapointed because there was only two live songs but they we're great to watch. Buy this album if you don't have! // 10

Comments