The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern review by Pantera

• Released: Sep 23, 2003
Pantera: The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern

Pantera is a vulgar band with a low crunching sound and f'ing great guitarist, and this CD captures all of that better than anything I can think of. Dimebag Darrell is my eyes is the greatest guitarist to ever live. He can take any guitar, any amp, any tuning, and it will still sound like the Dime. If anyone comes close to his greatess, it's Vinnie Paul on drums. He pounded on those skins like his life depended on it man. Rex Brown. God he's a great bassist. He did everything on the bass Dimebag did on the guitar (exept massive solos and power chords). Overall, one of the heavest sounds I've ever heard. And I love heavy.

The lyrics for this CD are brutal, loud, nasty, loud, conserversal, loud, and just mean. How great is it? They're all pre-recorded and some hit you in the heart as much as in the kidney. Philip Anselmo is a great vocalist who can go from quiet and sweet to loud and mean. He has a distictive voice that can go with almost any song. He's lived, did drugs, rocked, died, lived agian, quit drugs, and still rocked.

What can I, a mere mortal, say about the greatest CD in the history of Metal. With the exeption of a few song that should be on the CD (Good Friends and A Bottle of Pills and Primal Concrete Sledge for example) the CD has every song you need by this brutal band. With it's classic like Cowboys From Hell and Walk and the covers of Cat Scratch Fever (Ted Nugent, cover from the Kiss related movie "Detroit Rock City") and the Black Sabbath covers Planet Caravan and Hole in The Sky, and my personal favorites which include 5 minutes alone, Revolution Is My Name, and the tribute to Metal itself Goddamn Eletric feturing Kerry King from Slayer, and it's cover booklet with a history of the band and the songs on the CD and color pictures of the band, this is a must have CD for anyone who calls themself a Pantera fan and metalhead alone. I love this CD and band and anyone who mocks, criticizes, or disagrees with me can listen to Shitty stuff like Barry Manaloe or Tina Turner, but don't even think about listening to Metal, or rock for that matter. Please enjoy the brutal, vulgar, heavy Cowboys From Hell, Pantera.

Chris_Freeman
    bullshit cpt flue dime did not leave the band. phil and rex just left dime and vinnie hanging there while they did their own thing(down and superjoint ritual) if you read the guitar world mag about dime you really gain a better insight to what happened. phil became more concerned about what were supposed to be side projects and forgot about the band that got him where he is today.
    hawkdude9
    you know what i noticed? the title is all their 90s albums put together, except for reinventing the steel unless you count the