The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Review

Release Date: Sep 23, 2003
Label: Elektra/Rhino
Genres: Heavy Metal, Thrash, Alternative Metal
Number Of Tracks:
Combining the titles of the band's output since 1990 fully admits what fans and the band have been winking and nudging about since the sea change of Cowboys From Hell.
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on december 01, 2005

Sound: Of course, none of us here should be totally surprised by this album. It's basically just a compilation of all of Pantera's greatest hits. With that being said, it's perfect for a new Pantera fan, i.e. somebody who's just getting into them after Dimebag's death, rest his soul. But the sound is amazing, nonetheless. Dime's sound is just relentless. He gets such a warm, tube sound in his songs, but all from a solid-state amp. Now, tell me that doesn't make him a guitar god. Vinnie's drumming and Rex's bass work just add to the heaviness of this group. Toss in Phil's growly voice, and you've got yourself the best group to come out of Texas since SRV and ZZ Top. This album shows you how these guys went from being leftovers of the '80s glam/hair metal run, to becoming the standard for any band that dares to call themselves "metal." No doubt they will continue to inspire many a young musician for years to come. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very interesting. I mean, some were your basic heavy metal lyrics, such as fighting, drinking, Black Sabbath, you get the picture. But the ballads on the album, like "This Love" and "Cemetary Gates" were the stand-outs to me, moving from slow and melodic to bone-crushing and thrashy. "Revolution Is My Name" was another classic, sounding like they had just mishmashed several songs together to get one humongous riff-based song. And I was very pleased with the covers of Black Sabbath songs, "Planet Caravan" and "Hole In The Sky," since it all sounds very classy with just a bit of the new stuff. Phil, although I hate him with every fiber of my being, is definitely a very good singer, you could say. Although it is mostly screaming and growling, he does do a good job on the slower songs, bringing his voice down, if only for 4 minutes. He is a very honest songwriter, and I give him credit for that. // 9

Overall Impression: Definitely one of the best albums I've bought this year. From the Black Sabbath to Ted Nugent covers, to bringing in Kerry King to play on "Goddamn Electric," from the early days as Cowboys From Hell, to the time when they were Reinventing The Steel, Pantera has made their mark in the metal world. I cannot say that I hated any part of this album, except that they did leave off some relatively better song, but the bonus DVD makes up for that, with 12 music videos, featuring two live performances in Moscow of "Primal Concrete" and "Domination." I wouldn't say this is the definitive Pantera compilation, but it's a good gift for say a younger sibling/relative. I would, though, buy it again, if I lost it, seeing as it's a very good collection of songs and videos. So, if you're looking to start a Pantera collection, here's the place to start. If you're already a die-hard fan... You might as well just stick with your "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display Of Power" albums, although this would be a nice addition to any music collection, if you're missing some songs, that is. // 9

The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Pantera's sound is sort of like a guy coming up and punching you and you punching back, but his buddies see and they all come up and beat the crap out of you. The band consists of only Phil on vocals, Dime on guitar, Rex on bass, and Vinnie Paul on drums, but it's still some of the best and heaviest metal you'll hear. This best of features all their hits, including two rarities, and a bonus DVD with 11 videos. Dime's guuitar work is heavy and amazing technical yet simple, Phil's vocals can be melodic and slow or heavy and screamy/ barky, Rex's bass playing is thundering and he can definetly hold the rhythm while Dime solos, and Vinnie Paul's drumming is heavy and usually features a cool shuffle. All the songs are real heavy and all the parts work well together. There are only screams when there need to, only solos when there needs to be. It's great, heavy stuff! // 9

Lyrics: Phil's lyrics seem to be written from the heart and how he felt; there's no sugar coated crap and nothings embelished that doesn't need to be. All the feeling of the words fit well together with how the music makes you feel. There simple and tough, nothing sweet or sissy; tough southern stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! is a great CD. It features all of Pantera's best songs, including "Cowboys from Hell", "Cemetery Gates", "Walk", "This Love" and "Planet Caravan", as well as two rare tracks "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Hole in The Sky". It also a DVD, with videos for their hits and a few other songs and live performances of "Drag The Waters" and "Primal Concrete Sledge". I love how this CD has all their hits plus the DVD and rare tracks, all for 10 dollars from my pocket. If you like Pantera but just want to hear their popular songs, get this CD/DVD. It's great for die hard fans, too! // 9

The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: swordsrkewl, on july 19, 2006

Sound: A punch in the face. Vulgar, hellish, driven, trendkilling, cold hard re-invented steel. Pretty much sums it up. Considering it is a greatest hits CD. It's a good CD, has some of my favorite Pantera songs, its got 3 covers (Hole In The Sky [Black Sabbath], Planet Carvaan [Black Sabbath], Cat Scratch Fever [Ted Nuget]). Along with the live track, "Where You Come From". Its timelined oriented, the Cd starts otu with "Cowboys From Hell", and fitting ends with the "Hole In The Sky" cover. RIP Dimebag. Vinnie Pauls drummign skills are great, like a pounding thunder. Along wtih Dime's guitar the crackles and shreks and the pounding bass work by Rex. Good Stuff! // 10

Lyrics: This is a various collection of songs over the years obviosuly, the lyrics in the songs range. Theres the more "love" if you will oriented songs like "Cemetary Gates" and "This Love". The more fast paced in your face metal style we all know Pantera for, such as: "Cowboys From Hell", "Mouth for War", "Revolution Is My Name", and "Goddamn Electric". Phil Anselmo is a great vocalist, he can sing and scream, his voice is almsot like a cement mixer. Dimebag has done agreta job with the overall tone of the guitar, like the song "This Love" its both loud and angry yet calming and haunting. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this CD, partly because all my favorites are on ehre so I dont have to switch from CD to CD for a song I wanna hear they are all right hear. Probably the most liked songs of mine that are on this disc are "Hole In The Sky" cover, Revolution is my Name" "Walk" "Mouth for War", "This Love", "Goddamn Electric", ok so its basically half the album, but it's great! Pantera came a revolutionized metal in the 90's one of the most phenominal bands of all time, along with guitarist Dimebag Darrel (RIP). I would buy this again if it was stolen, or even if I just wore the damn thing out! Pantera will live on. // 10

The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: njustice4all, on january 04, 2007

Sound: This is unarguibly the best metal band of the '90s. They have left a huge dent in the rock n' roll world. pantera definetly followed in Metallica's footsteps as the '80s ended semingly metal did until Pantera released they debut album Cowboys From Hell, in late 1990. That wasn't their only kick ass headbanging action filled album. They had many more to come. This CD basicly represents the very best of them and the '90s metal genre. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well thought out and are very complex in a heavy metal nature. Philip Anselmo is definetly one of the greatest heavy metal vocalists of all time. He is dedicated to kickin ass and taking names when he is singing. It is easy to sing like how he sings. But he cannot be matched, his voice is most truely an original one in the music industry. // 8

Overall Impression: Pantera the modern day heavy metal master band can only be compared to two heavy metal groups such as Slayer and obiously Metallica. Pantera has much respect for shreddin and that is why they do it so well in their music. But the true heart and soul of the band is within Vinnie and Dimebag. With out these brothers the band would be nothing. Just like if Van Halen didn't have Eddie and Alex. If this CD were stolen or lost I would buy 5 more copies, I already have 3 just in case something unfortunate happens to my precious Pantera's greatest hits CD. // 8

The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: DimebagRIP1, on november 26, 2007

Sound: Pantera is a vulgar band with a low crunching sound and f'ing great guitarist, and this CD captures all of that better than anything I can think of. Dimebag Darrell is my eyes is the greatest guitarist to ever live. He can take any guitar, any amp, any tuning, and it will still sound like the Dime. If anyone comes close to his greatess, it's Vinnie Paul on drums. He pounded on those skins like his life depended on it man. Rex Brown. God he's a great bassist. He did everything on the bass Dimebag did on the guitar (exept massive solos and power chords). Overall, one of the heavest sounds I've ever heard. And I love heavy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this CD are brutal, loud, nasty, loud, conserversal, loud, and just mean. How great is it? They're all pre-recorded and some hit you in the heart as much as in the kidney. Philip Anselmo is a great vocalist who can go from quiet and sweet to loud and mean. He has a distictive voice that can go with almost any song. He's lived, did drugs, rocked, died, lived agian, quit drugs, and still rocked. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I, a mere mortal, say about the greatest CD in the history of Metal. With the exeption of a few song that should be on the CD (Good Friends and A Bottle of Pills and Primal Concrete Sledge for example) the CD has every song you need by this brutal band. With it's classic like Cowboys From Hell and Walk and the covers of Cat Scratch Fever (Ted Nugent, cover from the Kiss related movie "Detroit Rock City") and the Black Sabbath covers Planet Caravan and Hole in The Sky, and my personal favorites which include 5 minutes alone, Revolution Is My Name, and the tribute to Metal itself Goddamn Eletric feturing Kerry King from Slayer, and it's cover booklet with a history of the band and the songs on the CD and color pictures of the band, this is a must have CD for anyone who calls themself a Pantera fan and metalhead alone. I love this CD and band and anyone who mocks, criticizes, or disagrees with me can listen to Shitty stuff like Barry Manaloe or Tina Turner, but don't even think about listening to Metal, or rock for that matter. Please enjoy the brutal, vulgar, heavy Cowboys From Hell, Pantera. // 9

The Best Of Pantera: Far Beyond The Great Southern Reviewed by: anderseb, on november 30, 2009

Sound: Pantera has been my favorite band for quite some time now, I find the drums and the guitar most captivating, with the amazing fills and the blazing guitar solos. It's pure metal, and the whole album captures them in their prime, back when metal was everywhere. I really enjoy that I can listen to my favorite songs in one CD, with other songs that keep me on my toes. The record composes of soft tracks, as well as tracks you can certainly headbang to. It's definitely worth picking up if you're into death metal. // 10

Lyrics: Phil from Pantera certainly possesses talent, and his screams, such a commonplace as "Cowboys From Hell", tie in with Dimebag Darrell's spectacular riffs. I wish there had been more of a deeper subject to the songs, but I really like the tone and quality. I feel that the lyrics should have been a little deeper, as to convey the message in a stronger manner. Practically every song includes Phil's voice, and Phil makes a giant contribution to Pantera and their unique sound. They fit out from your stereotype death metal band with piercing screams, not hearing the lyrics at all. If you like that kind of music, you will definitely be enlightened by the contents of this CD. // 8

Overall Impression: This album from Pantera is surely the best, and is a great summary of their music. It leaves out the ok tracks, and leaves in the great tracks that made them, such as "Walk". This is included in my favorite songs in the CD, such as "Cowboys From Hell", "Cemetery Gates", and "This Love". The CD has captured their covers, such as "Cat Scratch Fever", which can arguably the death metal version of the song itself, and is, in perspective, better than the original track from Ted Nugent himself. This is great to buy, especially if you would like to enlarge your collection of metal CDs. // 9

Comments