The Great Southern Trendkill review by Pantera

• Released: May 7, 1996
Pantera: The Great Southern Trendkill

Another incredibly heavy album by pantera. There are a few good quality tracks but some really horrible ones as well. In 'Sandblasted Skin' theres a giant patch in the middle where there's no sound and the opening riff in 'Drag The Waters' is incredibly similar to 'Walk' from Vulgar Dsplay Of Power. The album does have some really great tracks like '10's' which has a really beautiful harmony before an equally heartfelt solo. The ballad 'Suicide Note Pt. I' is a strong point as Phil anselmos vocals are at a strong point. The Ultimate high point of the cd would have to be 'Floods'. it's one of the eariest songs I've heard in a long time. Dime's solo is top notch and is mine and many other people's favorites also. And the title track 'The Great Southern Trendkill' is pretty sweet also. In the end these songs make up for the albums faults.

On this album Pantera decided to add screaming to the mix which I really didn't like. In some songs Like '10s' and 'Suicide Note Pt. I & II' Phils vocals are really strong, but in quite of few others songs he just sounds messed up on heroin and and his voice is completley slurred. The lyrics for the most part fit very well with the music.

In comparence to their other albums it isn't the greatest but it's deifinitley not bad. This is due to the fact that it has one of their greatest songs ever (Floods). I love the overall heaviness of it but I hate the screaming. If it were stolen I'd buy it again man. Or just buy some of the songs on Itunes. But in my opinion any metal head should get it along with every other pantera album.

McKillswitch
    This is one of there best albums, (Because of suicide note 1 and 2), Drag the waters didnt really appeal to me, Yet walk did. I found that strange, oh well, all good reviews!