Vulgar Display of Power review by Pantera

• Released: Feb 25, 1992
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power

Pantera focused all the way to try to make a heavy, brutal sound. Their 1992 album, Vulgar Display Of Power, is a strong (possibly the strongest) example. Their recently killed and forever missed guitarist and proud Cowboy From Hell, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott (called Diamond Darrell at the time the album was released), vulgarly displayed his incredible, dangerous and worshipped guitarwork on the eleven tracks of this album. Seriously, his sound was like it was the heaviest anyone can get. His clean sound, like on "This Love" and "Hollow", was finely articulated and just as good as the heavy sounds. The solos are fast, technical, powerful, clear-sounding, and sometimes creepy just the way I like it. Vinnie Paul, Dime's brother and drummer for Pantera (my sympathies to you and family about the incident), finely keeps the heavy beat and becomes a part of Dime's riffs. When Dime does the solos, bassist Rex usually keeps takes on the rhythm sound and guides the band through. On the song "Fucking Hostile", they were as fast as thrash metal, and on the classic "Walk" features a catchy riff and fast solo. And I love the tempo changes on area on "This Love".

Phil Anselmo has a healthy, honest way of writing lyrics. The writing techniques are cool, like on "This Love" ('I'd kill myself for you I'd kill you for myself') and "Live In A Hole" ('My fear grips the will of stone my grip fears I'll die alone'). His singing is great because it's like some kind of hardcore cowboy lol. I also revere him for his slow singing like on the ballads (equally heavy) "This Love" and "Hollow".

This is one of the two albums I got for X'mas. Ever since Dime was pointlessly shot and killed, I knew I had to pay my respects and get this brilliant album and one of his best work. Impressive songs are "A New Level", "Walk", "Fucking Hostile", "This Love" (my personal favorite), "Live In A Hole", and "Hollow", which lyrics remind me of the loss of Dime. Get this album. Definately worth buying.