Vulgar Display of Power review by Pantera

• Released: Feb 25, 1992
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power

Right from the get go you know this is a heavier album than their previous one Cowboys From Hell. The CD isn't all about heavy riffs though, there are some slower parts to the CD such as This Love, and Hollow. Dimebag Darrells riffs are always great, just coming at you punch after punch and his solo's make you beg for more. Vinnie Paul on drums and Rex Brown on bass really make the rhythm's work and vocalist Phil Anselmo's voice is noticably deeper than it was in Cowboys From Hell.

Lyrics are just what you would expect from Pantera and Phil Anselmo. Angry, volatile, aggressive, in your face, but at times hints of a softer side such as in the song "This Love". The lyrics go side by side with the music, both working on enhancing the other. Phil's style of vocals was meant for Pantera.

Overall this CD is amazing. Every song is great. Best one's being "Walk" "F--king Hostile," "This Love" and "Hollow" though the other songs are great as well. It's pure blooded Pantera and there aren't many better things than that when you're a metal head. The album may be their best one, guitar wise it isn't as great as Cowboys from Hell technically, and it isn't as heavy as Far Beyond Driven, it fits right inbetween the two making for a spectacular album. If it were lost or stolen I would definatly buy it again. It is the sort of CD that you can listen to over and over again and never get bored with.

soadrocker103
    2 weeks. that is all it took for pantera to write this muther****in masterpiece! look at ****in metallica, taking years to lay down an album like st. anger HAHA
    z4twenny
    seeing the kids in here show their love for the stuff i kicked ass to as a kid, that shows how music is timeless and musicians live forever through their art. thanks dime, we love ya man
    MEXECUTIONER
    this cd is the best one of pantera,this love is the best song of the cd and remember: FOREVER STRONGER ALL!
    Pantera90
    P0RN0GRAFFITI
    Pantera90 wrote: I agree this album saved metal, but I personally love Cowboys From Hell the most. There's just this feeling I get when i'm listening to it that nothing else can put in me. Vulgar gets it close, but not quite. Vulgar is definitely my 2nd favorite after Cowboys.
    Agreed Cowboys From Hell is the bette album. Shows the band at their best In my opinion
    KissingShadows
    This CD is good, but CFH is FAR better. The solos on this one are faster and more technical, but none of them serve the songs the way they do on CFH.
    P0RN0GRAFFITI
    The solos are faster. BUT Cemetary gates solo has SO MUCH FEEL TO IT . . It beets anything on This album
    metalisimortal
    Pantera90 : I agree this album saved metal, but I personally love Cowboys From Hell the most. There's just this feeling I get when i'm listening to it that nothing else can put in me. Vulgar gets it close, but not quite. Vulgar is definitely my 2nd favorite after Cowboys.
    yep, cowboys definetely is amazing! but so is this one